Lighting gel in the u.k.

Can anyone recommend a supplier (or maybe more than one!) in the u.k. for 1/8 minus green?

The few suppliers I know of locally only seem to have basic CTO and CTB and black wrap.

I'm resident in Leeds but am often in London, if you can recommend suppliers in either or even better both areas, then that would be great! :)

love

Freya

PROKIT

111, Power Road

Chiswick Roundabout

London W4 5PY

Tel 020 8995 4664 Fax 020 8995 4656

e-mail: enquiries@prokit.co.uk

I don't know if it is out of your way. If not in stock they should be able to arrange for it. Perhaps give them a call to be sure.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Yeah, Lee. They'll deliver - a huge articulated truck will draw up outside the building and someone will get out and root around among huge boxes in the back, and emerge with your tiny package.

Phil

You can drive into Arri Media in W London and get some right now

If you are in SW London (Wimbedon) and only need to borrow a small bit I have loads lying around

thanks

Rolfe

That's very sweet of you Rolfe, but sadly I'm in Leeds and just pop down to London from time to time.

OTOH if it turns out to be ghastly expensive to get the gels, then maybe I will want to test it out first! :)

Hopefully it should be cheap because The fixtures are built to take gels and already contain very strange ones, so it will only need to cover the surface area of the tubes themselves.

Bizarely I did used to live down there in a place called Merton Abbey which was near the land of Morden where the shadown lie, at the bottom of the Northern line. I used to like living there but I got made redundant and they shut the car boot sale round the corner, and well, all good things come to an end. I nearly did buy a tiny house there tho! :)

love

Freya

• Premium Member

When I needed a local 'gel source I called Lee and got the number of a local supplier (in Oxford) - there must be one near you? You can try David Lawrence lighting on the web or Format filters also...

Rupe Whiteman

When I needed a local 'gel source I called Lee and got the number of a local supplier (in Oxford) - there must be one near you? You can try David Lawrence lighting on the web or Format filters also...

Rupe Whiteman

Those are great tips! :)

Not only does David Lawrence have a website but it works!

In addition to that it doesn't require you to install flash 9 and Quicktime VR 11. It doesn't have a silly flash intro screen and biggest shocker of all, it actually has pictures and prices!

Yes they actually say how much things cost! :)

Mr Lawrence must just be visiting England. Nobody has told him how it works around here yet! ;)

The Format filters site was also preety good in that they will actually sell directly to you and promise to send you a price list, albeit by e-mail and probably in some annoying pdf, but it's good. Better than having some weird complicated process to find out who their dealers might be or a dealer list on which the email addresses are hotlinks but the websites aren't (???!!!) etc etc etc

Love the David Lawrence site tho. Loads of good quality low end lighting gear it would appear:

http://www.studiolighting.co.uk/index.html

I like the minature flo kit in paticular. Shame the tubes won't fit my standard T8 fittings, as they have both daylight and tungsten tubes and the prices look reasonable. Check it out.

love

Freya

• Premium Member

Hi,

"Century stand ( C stand ) is unlike any other. With its fold away, spring loaded legs, detachable base and chrome plating..."

Hang on, doesn't that actually make it exactly like any other?

Phil

Hi,

"Century stand ( C stand ) is unlike any other. With its fold away, spring loaded legs, detachable base and chrome plating..."

Hang on, doesn't that actually make it exactly like any other?

Phil

I've not seen many in real life, but most of the ones I have seen didn't have the chrome plating! ;)

Then again in might have worn off. :)

love

Freya

Edited by Freya