ZOOMS: Zeiss vs Angenieux

Keneu Luca

Ive never used a Zeiss. I have the Angeniueux 12 -120 for my Arri S.

Is the clarity in a Zeiss 10-100mm overwhelmingly better, or just a little?

Also, does the Zeiss come in Arri Standard mount? Everytime I see a Zeiss 10 -100mm for sale it always requires bayonet mount. My Arri is standard.

I know Zeiss makes 8mm in standard, but how bout their zoom?

Thank you.

• Premium Member

I have a Zeiss 10-100 T2 Mk1 and an Angenieux 12-120 T2.2, and the Zeiss is in a whole different league from the Angenieux. It is quite superior. But also keep in mind that the Angenieux can be all over the map. I have seen some of them that were just beautiful, sharp, vibrant, and others that were pretty awful. Before you invest in a Zeiss, you may want to have someone who is an expert in the Angenieux lenses, Paul Duclos of Duclos Lenses in LA, have him look at your Angenieux, he may be able to clean, lube and set it up where it will give you much better results than you are getting now.

As far as the mount, I have never seen a Zeiss 10-100 T2 Mk1 or Mk2 in an ARRI standard mount. I would doubt that they exist.

What I have seen in ARRI standard mount is one Zeiss 10-100 T3, it may have been an exception. I have never shot with that lens so I am no expert about it but from what I have heard it is not nearly as sharp as the 10-100 T2, but it may be sharper than the Angenieux.

-Tim

Ive never used a Zeiss. I have the Angeniueux 12 -120 for my Arri S.

Is the clarity in a Zeiss 10-100mm overwhelmingly better, or just a little?

Also, does the Zeiss come in Arri Standard mount?

Thank you.

Yes the Zeiss 10-100 is better than the Angenieux 12-120.

The Zeiss is only available on an Arri B mount

You can convert your Arri S to an Arri SB (an Arri S with a B-mount)

And then the lens will work.

Good Luck

The Zeiss is far superior. I had a 12-120 Angenieux that was part of a camera package I bought years ago.

It was well maintained but the sharpness and contrast left a lot to be desired.

The only Angenieux zoom I feel is acceptably sharp is the 9.5mm-57mm. Far more useful zoom range as well.

Hello, just had a route thru my toybox, found the mount i purchased around 2000/01 from optex. Anyway the mount was for a zeiss T3 f2.8 10-100 T* lens. The mount converted the lens from arri-b to arri standard for use on my arri-m. The bayonet mount unscrews on the T3 and is replaced with the said standard mount. This work can be done by you, i chose to have arri-gb do the work, that way i knew the back focus would be ok. I found the T3 to be a lot sharper than the 12-120 ( 12-120 was on an R16 ), especially wide open. Zeiss T2 is even better, amazing sharpness, but arri-b only. If you decide to go down the zeiss T3 route ( i think my lens dated from the early 80s ) and you require a mount, let me know. I sold the arri-m, and T3 but not before having the lens converted back to arri-b.