Kodak Film Supplies. Where do you get the cheapest?

Canney

Okay this is where I get the cheapest

My main provider

Tri-X $13.95

Plus-X $13.95

200T $18.95

Ektachrome 64T $17.50

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Recently found out these people sell film

Ektachrome 64T $13.99

http://www.k14movies.com

Can anyone beat these prices or know where you can get it cheaper I would like to know.

Any one know where I can buy 500T for S8?

Can anyone beat these prices or know where you can get it cheaper I would like to know.

Any one know where I can buy 500T for S8?

Hmmmm... Kodak direct is the cheapest. 1800-621-FILM. You must go to other sources to process and telecine your film.

Then, theres Spectra for deals on film, processing and telecine combos done under one roof. This is probably the easiest source to use as a one-stop location with decent package prices.

500T is available at either place listed above.

The cheapest deal that I have come across here in the UK is a process paid package for Ektachrome 64T for £18.99. I bought a few rolls a couple of weeks ago and have just got it back - looks great!

Contact details are......

Blue Audio Visual

44 Duncan Street

Islington

London N1 0NY

020 7713 6865

They're just round the corner from Angel Tube in central London. I've had a look on their wesite but there is no mention of this deal whatsoever. When I went there they said that they were going to start doing process paid Tri-X and Plus-X, but I've know idea when. Next time I pop in I'll ask them - I really love the look of Tri-X in particular.

• Premium Member

Doesn't anyone harken back to the day when you could walk into your local photo dealer and not only did they sell Super-8, but they actually knew about the format as well! Well, those days are gone because all everybody cares about is how cheap they can find super-8 film for.

This grumble isn't directed at the author of this topic since cost appears to be the primary issue for 99% of internet people shooting Super-8. I say internet people because we do seem to be the cheapest bastards on the planet.

Guest santo
Doesn't anyone harken back to the day when you could walk into your local photo dealer and not only did they sell Super-8, but they actually knew about the format as well! Well, those days are gone because all everybody cares about is how cheap they can find super-8 film for.

This grumble isn't directed at the author of this topic since cost appears to be the primary issue for 99% of internet people shooting Super-8. I say internet people because we do seem to be the cheapest bastards on the planet.

It actually reflects the reality of what super 8 is today, what it evolved into, and who's really using it now, doesn't it?

Couldn't walk into your local photo dealer and buy 35mm motion picture stock "back in the day" either.

The desire for "cheapest" is natural and intelligent thinking when dealing with something which is not used primarily because it's cheap. It's a desire to experience the magic look that only film can give you. The cheapest bastards on the planet shoot miniDV and try to "film look" it.

It actually reflects the reality of what super 8 is today, what it evolved into, and who's really using it now, doesn't it?

Couldn't walk into your local photo dealer and buy 35mm motion picture stock "back in the day" either.

The desire for "cheapest" is natural and intelligent thinking when dealing with something which is not used primarily because it's cheap. It's a desire to experience the magic look that only film can give you. The cheapest bastards on the planet shoot miniDV and try to "film look" it.

I tend to agree. Why not look for the best price? It's not going to be available locally anyway (unless you're only using E64 and you're in the UK).

Kodak is the cheapest, especially with student discount.

Count us lucky in Toronto. West Camera (a photo store) stocks super 8 film at reasonable prices. You can also buy film at Henry's, though it is over-priced.

Rick

• Premium Member
I tend to agree. Why not look for the best price? It's not going to be available locally anyway (unless you're only using E64 and you're in the UK).

But how does that help Kodak in the long run when it comes to bringing in new filmmakers?

But how does that help Kodak in the long run when it comes to bringing in new filmmakers?

i think the format itself brings in new film makers, if that makes sense. its kinda like word of mouth advertising. at least i never heard of super 8 before i got told about it. and given that super 8 is getting bigger, even with people thinking about price and so forth. so maybe kodak dont need to worry about that. or maybe kodak are cheapest. in which case it helps them

• Premium Member
i think the format itself brings in new film makers, if that makes sense. its kinda like word of mouth advertising. at least i never heard of super 8 before i got told about it. and given that super 8 is getting bigger, even with people thinking about price and so forth. so maybe kodak dont need to worry about that. or maybe kodak are cheapest. in which case it helps them

I agree when you say low price helps sustain the Super-8 format. But who actually educates the Super-8 filmmaker? As useful as these forums can be, the number of hits is really tiny compared to what it would take to make Kodak happy. Also, mixed in with the helpfulness are huge fights mixed in to topics that seem to negate some of the good of leaving useful information.

The real education happens when someone walks through the front of a photographic store and actually can talk to an experienced filmmaker who has actually shot Super-8 and 16mm and even shoots it to this day. This is sorely missing as it stands today.

I agree when you say low price helps sustain the Super-8 format. But who actually educates the Super-8 filmmaker? As useful as these forums can be, the number of hits is really tiny compared to what it would take to make Kodak happy. Also, mixed in with the helpfulness are huge fights mixed in to topics that seem to negate some of the good of leaving useful information.

The real education happens when someone walks through the front of a photographic store and actually can talk to an experienced filmmaker who has actually shot Super-8 and 16mm and even shoots it to this day. This is sorely missing as it stands today.

a valid point. i agree