Filming in France

Here's the deal: my daughter's going to school in France. I'm working on a kind of interesting script that takes place in a foreign country, which could be France. What I thought is if I could find the equivalent of a local acting troupe in some outlying village that would be interested in participating in the project, I could shoot it in a couple of weeks while visiting my daughter. I understand that there is going to be resistance to American filmmaker coming in to shoot French film, etc, but what I need right now is some info on finding regional acting groups in small towns in France and info on regulations for shooting in France. Anybody know where I can find any of this? Thanks.

Dave Findley

"I understand that there is going to be resistance to American filmmaker coming in to shoot"

Oh you heard wrong....Americans are loved all over the world, especially France. Don't forget to wear your

"I love Bush" T-Shirt.

You won't have any problems. They let Ron Howard film in the Louvre for pete's sake.

R,

Here's the deal: my daughter's going to school in France. I'm working on a kind of interesting script that takes place in a foreign country, which could be France. What I thought is if I could find the equivalent of a local acting troupe in some outlying village that would be interested in participating in the project, I could shoot it in a couple of weeks while visiting my daughter. I understand that there is going to be resistance to American filmmaker coming in to shoot French film, etc, but what I need right now is some info on finding regional acting groups in small towns in France and info on regulations for shooting in France. Anybody know where I can find any of this? Thanks.

Dave Findley

Hi Dave.

Possiblem, you wish draw attention to the exotic interior of Ukrainian village.

I can organize shooting in Ukraine.

The many interesting locations.

You can check style of Ukrainian locations in Internet.

From one side, this can be good intrigue, from other side, you can o save money on budget.

Hi,

I am a French Gaffer based in Paris.

First of all, if you want to shoot in France, know that you're welcome :)

French crew enjoy working with American Production :D

Anyway, you asked about Shooting Permit.

What are your planning to shoot ? A short film, a feature a documentary ?

Know, that it's almost the same as in the US. I mean you don't need any particular autorisation to shoot outside if you shoot hand held without any tripod and if you don't put any pieces of equipement, such as lights, on the ground.

Otherwise you would need an autorisation from the prefecture de police. That's pretty easy to get !

You just ask for a shooting permit with the adress of the location, the day, the hours. If you don't ask to cut off the traffic they will let you do anything you want for free. In fact, shooting in Paris is free !

If you want more informations about how it work : http://www.filmfrance.net/

It's the French Film Comission. They will help you out easily and probably for free or nothing.

Also, if you need to get a crew, we do have some website where you can post an add like :

http://www.bellefaye.com/

If you need to rent equipement, to hire a crew, just ask me directly by email i will help you out.

Have a nice day and come to shoot in France !

Guest LondonFilmMan

Arno:

I was interested and grateful to read what you wrote about shooting en France. And I thought what Olex wrote about Ukraine was also a good idea.

Robert

• Premium Member

I think David Findley mentionned the fact he wanted to shoot in a village...

Anyway, I'm afraid that it's not that easy to shoot in Paris. First of all it might take time to get the authorization. It's usefull to ask long before the shoot. Second point is how the traffic would be pertubated by the shooting. And this is not costless. Third point, it's not free if you want a monument in the frame, and it can cost a lot... It can only be a large historic square like Concorde square or the Triumph arc, or the Opera and you are charged a lot !

Thanks for all the responses. I should dispel any suggestion that I am a professional. I've had some film school, was a professional still photographer for many years, but currently practice law. However, I've shot four short digital films, managed to get one in a small film festival, and am planning a feature length shoot in the fall here in Nashville, utilizing actors from a local theatre group who want the experience and to have something for their reel. With my daughter going off to France, I got an idea for a kind of Kafka-eske kind of movie that would take place in a small village somewhere in Europe, and I thought if I could make some contacts with a small community theatre troupe in France, and find a village to shoot in, I could work a similar deal, ie, some token payment and a copy of the film in exchange for their participation (plus an agreement for deferrals, if the thing makes any money). This may be too far-fetched to work, but you all have given me some starting points, and I appreciate it.

Dave

You will have a much easier time in a small village in France than in Paris. A small village (town) will welcome anything that breaks the general doldrums of small village life anywhere. A round of drinks will work miracles.

Olex, you are great! If someone wants to make ANY kind of film, you propose the Ukraine!

Even Lawrence of Arabia II can be done there! I salute your enthusiasm!!!!

I don't think it matters too much, so long as it is a small town or village that would put up with a very minimal crew shooting a digital movie (SD, possible uprez later), and local actors that might be interested in participating for deferrals , so my costs are as low as possible. I assume it would be better for me to just find a small hotel or room for rent where ever I shoot, so I could really shoot the movie anywhere, so long as it is economical. By the way, do you know what the French Film Commission requires in the way of liability insurance. They generally require a million dollars here, minimum. My project requires no stunts, explosions, or car chases, it is more along the lines of a Jim Jarmusch-style piece.

Thanks very much Laurent.

Dave

Set-wise, need a field or pasture, one or two private homes (interior and exterior), some kind of local business (bar, bakery, butcher, etc), and general exteriors around village common areas, like fountain, park, etc. Could also use a stream , pond, or lake for some exterior scenes.

• Premium Member

Ok. I think you should first find the village that offers the sets you need. Then contact the local/regional authorities because it's them that give the authorisation. I think the would ask you to have a general insurance for the whole shooting.

So you have to find a insurance company.