2 DP's credited on the same film

I was just looking at the credits for the upcoming Ghost Rider and noticed that 2 seperate people are credited as Director of Photography. Can anybody think of other films where there was 2 or more people credited as Director of Photography? Especially relating to films where 2 people worked together instead of one replacing the other.

I was just looking at the credits for the upcoming Ghost Rider and noticed that 2 seperate people are credited as Director of Photography. Can anybody think of other films where there was 2 or more people credited as Director of Photography? Especially relating to films where 2 people worked together instead of one replacing the other.

Collateral (Dion Beebe replaced Paul Cameron).

• Premium Member

Conrad W. Hall replaced Darius Khondji on Panic Room, etc. There are hundreds, if not thousands of movies where the DP has been replaced, but rarely does the replaced DP get credit for it. Presumably because they often get replaced quite early on and their "stamp" on the film will be much less.

• Premium Member

There are a number of films with two DP's listed, one replacing the other.

There are a few where one DP shot on location in a foreign country while another shot the studio stuff in the US.

There are a few where one DP couldn't finish the whole job and another DP took over -- that happens on the long Wong Kar Wai shoots. It happened on "American in Paris" where the long gap between initial production and shooting the ballet sequence allowed the director to bring in the DP he really wanted in the first place.

Then there a few with two actual DP's apparently working, although one may be assigned more to the lighting. Some of Gus Van Sant's movies (like "My Own Private Idaho") are like that. George Lucas has two DP's listed for "THX 1138" and "American Graffiti". Kurosawa had multiple DP's sometimes listed.

---First to come to mind is "Ivan the Terrible', E.Tisse and Andrei Moskvin.

The official line is that Tisse did exteriors and Moskvin interiors.

But it was more complicated. Tisse used to pass himself off as Swedish or German, but was really Lithuanian. Gives you an idea as to how non-Russians were regarded in the USSR. So come the War and he was regaerded as a suspect foreigher.

Ford'd "Mogombo' had R.Surtees and F.A>young. Surtees did KIng Soplomon's Mines The year before for same producer in africa, Young was head of British MGM camera department. You can guess how that was probably arranged. wo newsreel men on THX1138. Each operating own camera.

---lv

• Premium Member

There are quite a few films now that have visual effects DP's such as Alex Funke, ASC in Lord of the Rings (Andrew Lesnie, ACS, ASC was the DP). Also, an example of a big film with two big name DP's is Titanic. Caleb Deschanel, ASC got replaced by Russell Carpenter, ASC because "there was a lot of tension and a lot of difference in working style between James Cameron and Caleb Deschanel and he didn?t know how long things were gonna go before one person or the other said he?d had it." http://www.moviemaker.com/issues/29/29_carpenter.html

Deschanel shot the begining and end of the film where all of the old survivors were reminiscing.

• Premium Member

A recent occurance of this is The Brothers Grimm. Nicola Pecorini was fired by the producers towards the beginning of the film and Newton Thomas Sigel was brought in to replace him. I believe Pecorini got an 'additional photography' credit, although they are now both listed under 'cinematography by' on IMDB.

Bill Butler replaced Haskell Wexler in both "The Conversation" and "One Flew Over the Cucko's Nest", which were shot one after the other. William A. Fraker had to finish the later as Butler was unavailable due to prior commitments (he also replaced Butler in the film "Lipstick"). It is said Wexler phoned Butler's agent or Butler himself sometime later as soon as he thought he was going to be fired of another project to tell him to be ready!

A few days ago I watched "The Conversation" and its photography is pretty consistent throughout. Butler's style also fits Wexler's pretty well in "Cucko's Nest", but you can easily say what was shot by Fraker (some basket stuff outdoors and the sea fishing scene) as his low-con & diffused trademark images really pop up and don't cut together very well with the rest of the footage, probably shot clean for a sharper and more natural look.

Butler got the sole credit in "The Conversation"; he and Wexler shared it in "Cucko's Nest" (they also shared an Academy Award nomination) and Fraker recived a credit as additional photographer for his week of work. The three were nominated for the BAFTA.

• Premium Member
I believe Pecorini got an 'additional photography' credit, although they are now both listed under 'cinematography by' on IMDB.

Douglas Milesome got the same 'additional photogrpahy' credit on 'Last of the Mohicans'. He too was replaced by Dante Spinotti, who was Michael Mann's first choice but was unavailable for the start of principal photography.

Another rare credit: Caleb Deschanel did the "Insert Photography" for "Apocalypse Now". I believe he shot some Martin Sheen's close-ups faked on Coppola's vineyard while the film was being edited. Stephen H. Burum was the 2nd unit cinematographer for the film. Two years leater (AN was shot during 1976-77) he reunited again with Deschanel (now 1st unit cameraman) as 2nd unit cinematographer for "The Black Stallion".

Ron García is the credited director of photography of Coppola's "One from the Heart" I believe due to union rules, cause Vittorio Storaro (who actually shot the film) had to be replaced the previous year for the american scenes of Warren Beatty's "Reds", the last on the schedule. I don't know who finished the film.