Anyone near Portland, OR?

Philz

Hi, I recently moved in the Salem area (near Portland by 40 miles), and I'm curious if there's others in this area where I can keep in contact with and possibly get together to share ideas and so forth. I directed my last film but I consider myself more of a DP these days. It would be great to talk to others who share the same interests.

Thanks,

Phil

• Premium Member

Phil,

There are a few of us up here in Oregon. Myself and Alain and probably a few others. As far as the Portland area, this is mostly a commercial town, they shoot many of the national car commercials here, so if you are a commercial DP, get in touch with the folks at OMPA. I know Alain does documentary work. I was doing mostly narrative work back in Chicago before we moved out here last summer.

There is independent film production here, mostly out of LA. Crews come up to shoot. Worked on a shoot last fall that came down from Seattle. There are alot of folks shooting mini DV in town.

What was disappointing for me was to discover that there was no "minor league" of filmmaking in Portland, like we had back in Chicago. "Minor League" being narrative work, usually shot on 16mm film, where shorts had budgets of $10,000 to $25,000 and features had budgets of $35,000 to $150,000. That is the market I was working in back in Chicago, which doesn't really exist out here.

Like I said, there are alot of folks shooting mini DV, and "major league" (studio) independents coming up from LA, and alot of commercial work. So if you are in to any of those, you should have no problem finding folks to work with.

Welcome to Oregon,

-Tim

hey, i didn't know anyone on here was from oregon . . .

yeah, i live in beaverton, which of course is right next to good old p-town. i'm just your basic editor with artistic vision, but if you need a crewman for a project, i'm around and willing to learn anything i can.

kyle

hey, i didn't know anyone on here was from oregon . . .

yeah, i live in beaverton, which of course is right next to good old p-town. i'm just your basic editor with artistic vision, but if you need a crewman for a project, i'm around and willing to learn anything i can.

kyle

Wow, great! I use to live in Redding, CA, and finding people was like looking for a needle in a haystack! I'd like to get your thoughts on a script a writer gave permission for me to use. I'll contact you through email soon.

• 2 months later...

bumping up an old post. Im from Portland, but as of now trying to work LA and surrounding areas, and go to school at brooks institute of photo. for film studies, im in my last year. i miss the environment in Portland, and am surprised there arent many things shot up there. I hope to take advantage of the area, once i either write a script that is practical to shoot up there or, what will mostlikely happen, have a director who is interested in the area. I am always eager to meet and create contacts, i made alittle contact at Koerner Camera in NE Portland, which surpisingly carries a handful of film cameras. i also got alittle aquainted by finding Hollywood Lights and Pacific Grip.