Matte Box for 16mm, what to look for?

• Premium Member

We are looking into getting a matte box for an Arri SR1 that we are going to be using for a shoot this spring or early summer. Never used one before and was wondering if there was something specific we should look for? I have seen that Arri makes a few different ones, as well as a number of other folks. Have been told to definitely get one that uses 4 x 4 filters instead of 3 x 3.

What else should we look for? What brands do some of you folks use, and why do you like this brand over others?

Thanks for any and all info.

-Tim Carroll

You'll want a mattebox with a minimum of two square tray stages (the 4x4), with at least one of the rotating for graduated filters. Behind this it is also important to have a round filter tray in the donut ring stage, often used for polarizers or diopters. If you get one with a 138mm (5.5") ring size then most manufacturers then have an insert ring so that you can use 4.5" round filters as well, giving you more flexibility. In fact, if you get a mattebox that can handle 4x4.560 size filter which protect you in the future for possible Super-16 upgrades, then they usually will also hold 4x4 filters in either the same tray or in a secondary replacement tray. You also want a mattebox that has an adjustable bellows or front-mount matte masks or both, plus you want an eyebrow (aka French flag) and possibly side brows as well. Some people really like a mattebox that can hinge swing on it's mount (swingaway) for easier access to the lens).

Arri matteboxes are good but very expensive. Chrosziel are very good and common throughout the industry (so you can always rent accessories such as add-on stages). Vocas (distributed in the US by Century Precision Optics as Shade F/X) are nice but a little simpler. Cinetech makes a nice mattebox system with lots of accessories and adjustability. Visual Products distributes a South African-made lightweight carbon fiber mattebox. Petroff used to make an okay mattebox system but I don't believe they do so anymore. Van Dieman in England makes some good matteboxes that are distributed in the US by Serious Gear Co. JBK Cinequipt makes a fairly beefy model. And if you want lots of features for cheap, the somewhat plasticy Chinese-made matteboxes from Cavision can't be beat for price.

Whew--and all off the top of my head! There's lots of matteboxes out there, and you have to choose the features to cost and style that you like. I have a Chrosziel but also like the Cinetech. You might be perfectly happy with a clip-on from Visual Products.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Buy a Van Dieman one, they're nice people. Plug plug.

Seriously, get a bigger one. I got a 4x4 and am now kicking myself because 4x4 filters won't cover very wide video lenses, they just barely cover the (not-very-wide-for-video) 6.4mm end of the zoom I have now, especially if you have two stacked.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

I own a Chrosziel 4x4 swing away mattebox. It was expensive, but works great.

Especially the rotating 3rd stage for the polarizer...

I have some used 4x4 filters for sale,

I own an SR 1 package and am selling it off piecemeal if necessary...

an 85, for sure, and some cool 4.5 inch round ones two.. and some series 9s are important for when you just don't want to use the mattebox... (I'm selling the lightweight support rods you need for the chrosziel and some others, also)...

let me know if I can help/ with gear or advice.. I'm getting rid of a microforce setup with motor, a follow focus and a whole list of stuff... (sorry, I'm keeping the mattebox, it works even on 16:9 video zooms up to 8mm, at least)

(from a DP, not a rental or sales house)

JB

• 2 weeks later...

Robert--

I really like the new design. So simple, compact and rugged. Glad you shifted over to the standard 15mm frontrods mount. Any thoughts on bringing back your followfocus? Only unit I ever used that never ever had any slop in the spin. Funky 'cause it turned the opposite way from everyone else's design, but a great item.

All the best with your mattebox.

• Premium Member

Robert,

I went to your website and downloaded the information. Looks very interesting. What type of prices are we talking about? Could not find price information on your site. Maybe I just missed it.

Thanks,

-Tim