Want to shoot on HVX but never tackled HD before - any advice.

Jacqueline Donaldson

Hi there,

We're shooting a short in a few weeks and were just finalising our camera choice (we were going to rent a) Sony HVR-Z1P HDV, however today we found out for the same price we can get an HVX - 200 ! I nearly fell off my chair - both myself and the director want to shoot on this camera - I'm DPing and I've never shot on HD - is this going to be a nightmare??

I don't want to throw away the chance for such a learning experience with a great camera and the director agrees with me and trusts me.

Problems are already creeping in - we are based in Hong Kong and aparently we can only shoot in 1080i as the 720 PAL System is not compatible with computer systems here (I think??) and the PAL 1080i isn't true 24p like the NTSC camera, so I've been told by the technician in really bad English - I can't speak Cantonese.

Also off loading the P2 cards - is this troublesome? We shot some footage on a P2 card at the rental house and are going to see how the off load goes.

So what i need to know first is if i can't shoot in true 24 prog then what do I do to get that "film look" - would I shoot at 1080i / 25 cineframe ?

Anything else that I should bear in mind before going ahead and booking the camera??

Or should I play it safe and shoot on the Sony (at least all the footage is on tape?)

We are financing the project ourself and not only are we trying to make great films but we want to learn as much as we can too.

Thanks for any advice and support - Jacqueline...

Most people recommend that you don't shoot cineframe on the Sony

The frame rate will depend on what your post production facilities can handle, usually in PAL countries either 25p or 50i are preferred over 24P.

Are you planning to shoot 720 progressive (this isn't PAL) or 1080 interlace? The HVX uses DVPRO HD, not HDV, so there may be some confusion with the JVC HD 100 which shoots 720 progressive on HDV1. Some editing packages can't handle certain frame rates on HDV1 without third party plug ins.

For a film look you're best shooting progressive, the HVX 200 and JVC HD 100 shoot 720P. However, you can deinterlace 1080i in post to create a similar effect with reduced vertical resolution.

If you're shooting reasonable amounts of material each day you'll need to be able to download your P2 cards on location. This is something you'll have to plan for in advance and budget for any extra equipment (including additional P2 cards).

If you are going to use an hd camera it would be really helpful for you to use the dvrack software. It is like 5 proffessional video monitors plus extras all in one. Just load the program onto your computer, connect your camera to the fire wire port and you can record straight onto your harddrive while monitoring your footage with tons of detail. Im not a dvrack sales person but I really like the software. You can try it for 30 days with full useablity.

just type dv rack into google. Its made by serioius magic

Thanks guys,

We have decided to shoot on the Sony Z1P - we couldn't get the footage of the P2 cards without very expensive additional software.

Now looking for an online printable Sony HVR-Z1P manual ? Anyone know where I can download one?

Thanks

JAcqueline

Here it is.....

http://pro.sony.com.hk/product/spec/manual/2514606111.pdf

We have decided to shoot on the Sony Z1P - we couldn't get the footage of the P2 cards without very expensive additional software.

In any case, I would listen to the advice of using DVRack at least for monitoring your camera functions, if not as a backup for your camera HDV tapes. Remember dropouts are a potential problem in this media.

Edited by Carlos E. Martinez