Sound Add-On

Christian Blas

To add sound to super 8, does the sound strip have to come from a reel-to-reel recorder (the original) or can it come from any type of reel-to-reel media (cassettes, etc.) or is there a place to transfer digital media (CDs, DATs, etc...) to sound strips to place on the super 8?

Please respond. URGENT due to budget cost!

"Even the most complex problems have the simplest answers."

The way things are now, you have it a little backward... sound striping S8 film isn't a common service anymore, if at all. Although it is very easy and common to digitize the films, from there you can drop them into any NLE program (even the ones that come with your computer like Imovie or movie maker) and add whatever audio you want to the video file. If you could explain your project a little more, would be helpful.

"Please respond URGENT!"

Lines like this from uninformed beginners never fail to crack me up.

"Hello, I wandered into an airliner and accidently made it take off. Are Goodyear tires better than Firestones for landing a 747? Please respond, URGENT!"

Even the simplest questions can have complex answers.

If you're staying on film, Andec in Berlin are still striping, but only originals or their own prints.

If you're transferring yourself the quality can be pretty disappointing unless you use a top-notch projector but you can use any source.

When re-recording some old super-8 tracks recently I gave up on the stripe and used cassettes or CD.