How to work a lightmeter?

eddiefruchter

Matt, is that you under another name? You've been watching too much Fox News. Don't be sore about the kubrick thing. :lol:

Seriously,

Is that not the point? Education? The idea is to get experienced awnsers from people who know, as opposed to flipping endlessly through a largish book. Is that, on any level, reprehensible?

Well, you can't go wrong with B&H (www.bhphotovideo.com) but I wish I knew what you were specifically looking for. What do you shoot? Motion Picture Film? Video? Stills? Things to concern yourself with have been covered in the past. Scan for Light Meter, you'll get the phone book. Tons of stuff will apply. But assuming you're a cinematographer, you should have a spotmeter and an incident meter and the ability to read in foot candles.

There are some extremely slick new combination type meters out that give you the whole thing, spot meter, incident meter, foot candle readout, you name it - in one single unit.

My next winfall, I'm set on a Sekonic L-608C Cine Super Zoom Master - Digital Incident, Spot and Flash Light Meter with Special Features for Cinematographers - It's also Weatherproof. Very handy. A generally slick little whistle. Hope this helps.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...u=224712&is=REG

• Premium Member

Hi,

I keep almost buying one of those myself, but they're not exactly pocket money, especially as it would be of very dubious utility to me. Sekonic have similar types intended for stills work which are considerably cheaper.

Phil

Eddie, I can assure you, I post under no other name, I still do not have cable, and still have not watched Fox news! If you're getting other people testy, it's not my fault!

The reason you're getting a bit of attitude, is that people who have posted here for years and years get a bit tired of newbies showing up, sloppy posting in wrong categories, or double posting in multiple categories, etc., and having to answer for the 700th time, questions like "hey, where can I get film developed?"

The best thing to do is spend an evening searching the archives, searching for every word match you can think of. You'll be surprised how many lengthy informative discussions you'll see on just about anything you would want to know.

Then come back here and you'll be able to ask much more informed questions.

Anyway, to your first question:

B&H in New York is excellent for lots of equipment.

I got a nice Sekonic on ebay that's served me well, but I waited for many months for one I was as sure as possible was good, and from a reputable seller.

A bad meter can ruin your career, so this is important.

The best way to learn how to use one is to read everything you can get your hands on, and shoot with one.

A still camera is a good way to start, making ridiculous amounts of notes as to what you did on each exposure, then look at your prints when you get them back, to see what happens when you do what.

Do the same when you shoot some motion picture footage.

Shoot lots.

Shoot often!

Matt Pacini

Is that not the point? Education? The idea is to get experienced awnsers from people who know, as opposed to flipping endlessly through a largish book. Is that, on any level, reprehensible?

Hm, so you are too lazy to read, pardon me: "flip through" a "largish" book, and it's easier to have any question answered seperately on the forum? In my opinion, this shows a lack of respect to the people who will spend time (and sometimes a lot of time, if you read some explanations in different threads!) to help others solve a problem.

The idea about education is to learn the basic craft, which means doing some work for yourself, and which will enable you to find most solutions yourself. If you don't have the time to read one single book, your time seems to be more valuable than ours.

Get the Lenny Lipton book (which is fun to read), and you won't have to set up a new thread "How to level a tripod". ;)

• Premium Member

Yes, we all spent our time reading those large books just so we can answer questions from people who don't want to spend the time reading those books!

This forum is meant to be a supplement to one's education, not a substitution for it. We can clarify something that is unclear in a textbook, give out real world advice, but the point is not to teach the basics here in a bunch of fragmentary posts.

The truth is that either you love filmmaking so much that you WANT to read those books -- wild horses couldn't tear you away from them! -- or you don't, in which case you won't last long in this industry. This is not a career for people who dabble. Of course, I grant you that some people here are mere hobbyists, but still, a serious hobbyist would enjoy the research, and I'm not sure why I would waste my time explaining things to people who aren't serious about learning filmmaking.

Eddie, I'm sure you probably feel like you've dropped into a den of vipers here, but you have to realize that this is a group made up of everyone from hobbyists to full-time working professionals in the industry, but one thing that's pretty constant, is that we're all fairly obsessed about learning the craft, and even those with not much pro experience here (like myself) have read enough books that if you stacked them up, exceed our height.

Perhaps you're underestimating how much there is to learn, and think a few paragraphs of advice from a couple pro's will suffice.

This is a very technical craft, and nobody knows it all, but most that post here are so into this, that they will do anything and go anywhere to get more knowledge about the craft, so don't take it too personally.

The other thing is, there's no substitute for getting the experience, and having your own "aha's!" when you learn things first-hand.

Matt Pacini

• Premium Member

We don't mean to be rude, it's just that when you are passionate about books and reading like I am, it's hard not to jump on someone who makes it sound like flipping through a reference book is going to be a chore -- can you imagine how many books I've flipped though over the years in order to answer people's questions online?

Leon,

I own a Sekonic L-608C Cine Super Zoom Master for the last two years and it has been very dependable and I haven't had any problems with it.

I have used it mostly to get light readings from shoots in miniDV (Xl-1) and has been very exact. My gaffer has a Minolta (don't remember which model) one and we have often trajed fun jabs at each other over which one is better.

The only problem with the 608C is that it uses a special battery and doesn't last that long. I fixed that problem by having multiple backup batteries. But I would have liked to it to have been like a regular AA so I can purchase them at the local 7-11 when in need.

Other than that, I have found it stable and reliable.

C.-

Gentlemen: Due to the large amount of unfounded criticisms hurled at yours truly for displaying an as of yet unmatched bravura by inquiring about purchasing a lightmeter, I find the conduct of the members of this post to be quite unfounded and, overall, vindictive.

To launch a collective attack on one's knowledge (and intellectual history) without having so much as taken the trouble to acquire the finer points is a display of anger improperly directed. Should you find fault with those who inquire about the most basic of topics (where to buy stock), I do not wish to hear about it. This is simply a post to find the best retailer of lightmeters on the internet, using, of course, the past dealings of those who come across this question.

I, too, have read myriad books, but require a clarification on specific issues that, keeping in mind you are not required to pay any mind to, I should like to find assistance with. The only intellectual crimes comitted here are the willfulness of attitude, and moral superiority displayed by those whose ego has exceeded their sense of common virtue, instead opting for piety.

The elemental truths of areas such as this site are founded upon the socratic method, which, I should hope those who have posted such rude remarks are closely familiar with. There is nothing gained by posting such things, and only result in the discouraging further discourse from others with questions. Matt, you should in good faith delete your post, if only for aformentioned reasons. To this point, I have found nothing but satisfaction with the replies to my few questions, and it has spurred my interest.

Yes, I am ignorant to the finer points of the specific technicality, but this mass idiocy must cease. What, but superiority, are we trying to establish here?

• Premium Member

Why don't you look at the title of your post: "How to work a lightmeter?". I would say the people answering you with "Dont ask such broad questions, etc" are addressing part of your question.

B&H is fine, ebay is ok.

Lets look at your past topics:

How to work a lightmeter?

How to build a darkroom

How to load 35mm camera?

How to bounce natural light?

Any ideas on getting sharp B/W 16mm, Stocks, lighting and other info needed

A 16mm shoot to digital edit

Advice, Please

These are all extremely basic topics. They are also incredibly broad.

You assault people suggesting you read a book with a retort of "Is that not the point? Education? The idea is to get experienced answerers from people who know, as opposed to flipping endlessly through a largish book. Is that, on any level, reprehensible? "

This is from the same guy that asks on a Internet forum how to load a 35mm camera. Only a dolt would assume one could be taught how to load film without actually touching it. Seems to be a contradicting attitude.

This is an industry/ community that thrives off of respect. If you are some punk kid (I don't know your age, but this is how you present yourself) that comes to ask people with a lot better things to do then answer your basic questions, the very least you can do is show some respect.

Just shut up and learn, or just get lost.

Kevin Zanit

You superior pig,

They are under no requirement to awnser the questions. Is there a gun to their head. Why don't you leave it to the administration to tell who to get lost, and stick to posting on topics you feel are worthy of your time.

Hi.

This is my first post, but I must agree that eddie could benefit a good deal from a basic text. We do not wish to keep others from asking questions, but it is best to understand the feel of the work before getting into it. Compare it to the drivers manual you read before the test. I hope your film goes well, but don't be impaitent.

• Premium Member

I deem any question worthy of my time, as long as the person asking the question shows some appreciation.

If you didn't notice, I have answered your other posts fairly throughly.

Kevin Zanit

Hey, everybody...

I suggest that we stop the name calling, and focus politely on the issue at hand.

There are people who will find this forum and begin to participate in this community who need some guidance both in the forum and professionaly. The experienced forum users are not "required" to supply information, but many of you perhaps find it rewarding and THAT is what keeps this forum alive.

The "forum newbies" need to understand that experienced forum users are in no way obligated to answer their questions. However, the more experienced forum users should refrain entirely from any rudeness.

It's easy to type your slightly sarcastic message post with a little smirk and a wink and think that the reader will catch your drift and see the light, but often your comments might be perceived as insulting or rude, and then things just start to snowball.

I recommend that, in most cases, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. A vague post that goes unanswered might help the poster "get your drift". If you do need to be critical of another forum user, do so with kindness. And, you know, it's possible that there's somebody in the forum who really wants to answer a vague question with helpfulness and detail.

I'm going to pitch that we all contribute to a Forum Rules topic in the Support category. New users will be encouraged to read through it before participating in this forum. Be nice. :)

Thanks Tim,

And as a newbie in the cinematography world, I do my research by reading books (tons of them), from on line forums like this one, from working and from listening to the pros. It is when one of these mediums confuses the hell out of me that I resort to asking a question. Even then, I have done research to ask and to make it worth while for the pros to answer.

I come from the software engineering world, where a simple question like "How do you allocate memory" has to have, like in cinematography, a base of reference, because such a broad question like that is hard to answer. A more direct question would be like "I have an intel box I am running linux on and I am using the cgnu gcc compiler and I am trying to allocate an array of 4000 integers. How do you do that ? I find it similar to asking a question like "What kind of light should I use for a dinner scene?" vs the more appropiate "I am shooting a dinner scene on a 17'*20' room which has white walls and I am shooting on miniDV, and my only practical is a chandelier hanging in the middle of the room. I need to light every actor in the scene what would be the best way around it? I was thinking of using candles all through the table to kick the chandelier".

Anyways enough rant. Thanks everyone for your time and dedication.

C.-

• Premium Member

Dear eddiefruchter,

You need to know what type of lightmeter you need based on the type of shooting you

are doing. Lightmeters read incident and relected light. The spotmeter measures a small

lets say for purpose of discussion, 1 degree area of the subject. Lets just say its com-

pared to looking through the hole of a straw. A good book for you to start with would be

Painting With Light(Mr. John Alton Cinematographer). Its an old book but the basics hold

true today, and most of lighting units are still used today. You can lear a lot about lighting after you study the basics by watching good films. Some professional cinematographers carry both an incident/reflected lightmeter and a seperate spotmeter

in their bag. They do make a highly professional lightmeter that reads all three modes.

you can hold the lightmeter at your actors face (front of face and take a reading) or you can point the lightmeter away from the face and take a reading. This involves to different values of light. The spotmeter will read a small area of the subject, lets say the

hair for example. It will also average several readings taken on the actor or the scene.

The light is very important in my opinion more than the type of camera but we could debate that subject all day! Study the basics,learn how to use a meter, study camera

angles and how to achieve them by moving your camera.watch good films after a while

you'll see the lighting and determine how to read it.Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!

Happy shooting and god speed eddiefruchter.