Canon 514 XLS

Matthew Buick

Just saw a Canon 514 XLS on eBay $26.00, what ASA speeds can it take, is this a good camera to cut my teeth on ?

I would like to use all the Vision Stocks, a fair amount of Monochrome, and a good selection of Colour Reversals.

Edited by Matthew Buick

Just saw a Canon 514 XLS on eBay $26.00, what ASA speeds can it take, is this a good camera to cut my teeth on ?

I would like to use all the Vision Stocks, a fair amount of Monochrome, and a good selection of Colour Reversals.

Great camera, but won't read all ASA speeds.

Here's a couple of lists to check when you are looking for cameras:

Super 8 Wiki: Cameras that can and can't use Ektachrome 64

Kodak's list of cameras that don't like Ektachrome 64, but can be made to work

SmallFormat magazine's review of winner and loser cameras for the new film stocks

• Premium Member

The thing is that once you figure out how your camera is reading the cartridge notches, you can manually adjust the f-stop to compensate if necessary (and for the negative stocks, a little overexposure is OK if, for example, the camera wants to expose Vision 200T or Vision 250D as 160 ASA.) Or just figure out how to set exposures using an external light meter. Most Super-8 cameras aren't going to expose according to the film's ASA rating in auto mode for every Super-8 film on the market now.

I bought the same camera while I was in school not too long ago. I bought the camera off ebay and it was in pristine condition. Although you don't have a lot of options to tweak in camera, it can still produce some surprisingly nice images. I wouldn't claim to cut your teeth on this camera as far as technical know how is concerned, but if you are working on framing, composition, story telling or just trying to get that super8 look, then this is a great camera. I would consider selling mine, but I would ask a little more than $30 since it is near flawless condition. Good luck.

Mike

• Premium Member
I bought the same camera while I was in school not too long ago. I bought the camera off ebay and it was in pristine condition. Although you don't have a lot of options to tweak in camera, it can still produce some surprisingly nice images. I wouldn't claim to cut your teeth on this camera as far as technical know how is concerned, but if you are working on framing, composition, story telling or just trying to get that super8 look, then this is a great camera. I would consider selling mine, but I would ask a little more than $30 since it is near flawless condition. Good luck.

Mike

How much do you want for it? I'm currently the high bidder for one on eebay but I'll be outbd before it's over and I'd prefer not to wait for shipping from Sweden.

I don't think you will get much out of this camera, as its completly automated and doesn't work with the majority of today's films. There is an EE function to freeze at the current f-stop but its a bit fidily.

Not trying to down the camera though, infact it was my first super 8 camera, I got one when I was eleven for stop-motion after being inspiried by Nick Park who was currently winning oscars. With Kodachrome it took some amazing images and now sits proudly at the top of my book shelf.

I would stay away from that particular model based on what you say you want. Only way to lock exxposure is with EE lock lever, which ties up one hand while shooting. Very frustrating. It cannot read many stocks, so you'd have to try and coax the F-stop where you want it, lock and and then you can't move your finger.

There are way better cameras in the same price range.

How badly do you want that 60m cartridge option? This limits your choices in a big way and there are no readily available 60m cartridges to my knowledge.

The "huge ASA spectrum" is not that critical if the camera has proper full manual exposure settings, and this opens up your options considerably.

One of my favourite cameras, wyhich may suit your specs well, is the Nikon 8X SuperZoom or the Nikon Super Zoom 8. They read 7 different film speeds, have manual exposure and good glass and they're built like thanks.

Rick

I would also say that you would be better off with another model. There are plenty of them floating around still. There are a lot of super8 resources on the web as well that a simple google search would reveal. Maybe refer to those. If you are determined to try the 514 XL-S, I would let it go for $60. It does not have the manual, but does come with the original leather bag (fair condition) and the camera in excellent condition.

Mike

How badly do you want that 60m cartridge option? This limits your choices in a big way and there are no readily available 60m cartridges to my knowledge.

Rick

The reason I want the 60m cartridge capability, is because I reckon it's only a matter of time before they start manufacturing them again, but that's not too important.

Oh, and I'll send the chosen camera in to be converted to Super-Duper 8, HA HA.

I just saw that Nikon, NO WAY, one of the few things I can't live with in a Super 8 camera is too much silver.