CANON

Matthew Buick

It costs $129 USD.

I wouldn't pay that much for that camera. Auto exposure only is too limiting. I sell cameras and if something is auto only I feel I can't go higher than $40, rgardless of make and model, because it's too amateur. You should be able to get a better camera for the same or much less even.

Rick

Also, I've decided just to bite the bullet, I'm bidding for a Canon 814XL-S.

Posted my last note before I read the whole thread. Oops. The Canon 814XLS is an excellent camera (I've been using one for over 10 years), but you will have to pay good money. Well worth it as long as the price is not through the roof. Let us know if you get it and what the price was.

Rick

Rick

Posted my last note before I read the whole thread. Oops. The Canon 814XLS is an excellent camera (I've been using one for over 10 years), but you will have to pay good money. Well worth it as long as the price is not through the roof. Let us know if you get it and what the price was.

Forget the Canon, I lost the auction, can anyone reccommend anything a bit cheaper, I reallylike the "Beaulieu" 1028 XL 60, it looks just my sort of cam.

Forget the Canon, I lost the auction, can anyone reccommend anything a bit cheaper, I reallylike the "Beaulieu" 1028 XL 60, it looks just my sort of cam.

I recommend almost anything in the Canon family (but avoid that AF310, and also avoid the 514, 314 and 310 as they don't have proper full manual exposure. )The 518SV is nice and inexpensive, and the 518 Auto Zoom is nice and inexpensive or the 814 Auto Zoom, or the 814 AUtooom E.

This last one is the best of the bunch I mention but will cost more.

Rick

With all due respect, Im getting so tired of people acting like you just have to have a gazillion dollar rig with crystal sync, and timecode, and metronomes, bells/ whsitles, and everything else. It is absolutely ridiculous to assume you cant sync sound with Super 8. Let's not forget that many S8 cameras were Sound cameras also. These cameras are going to be pretty well synced. If you are on a budget, just remember... the shorter the take, the better! You will not lose sync at all on a 10 second dialog clip. It wont happen. I have done this many times and I guarantee that, with a 24fps sound camera, you will not lose sync in a short clip. If you want to shoot 2 1/2 minute scenes, dont try it without crystal motor because it will drift off. But for short, there is nothing to worry about.

I find that you can do anything on a small budget if you use a little creativity. Hell, if you are really concerned, just record scratch track, noisy or not, and use that as reference for full ADR in post.

I had to drop my extremely disdainful attitdue towards syncing super 8 after I did two camera tests. Using old-not-reciently-serviced super 8 cameras, I shot two 25 second scenes, did a cheap telecine and droped them into FCP. There was a drift of approximately 1% in both clips. It took me a matter of minutes to get tight sync.

So there was drift but at least in this case is was consistent and easy to accomodate. Obviously if the cameras had been speeding up and slowing down, that would have been far more difficult to deal with. Anyway, Matthew, I concurr.

Kaptain, how about a Nikon zoom 8? It has manual exposure, 8.8 - 45 zoom, 12,18,24 fps., case and instuctions, and seems to run good. The door seal needs replacing. It's been sitting in my garage for a couple of years. I never shot with it, but will sell it to you for the amount I paid: $2.50. If you can't afford that, make me a counter offer.

• Premium Member
Kaptain, how about a Nikon zoom 8? It has manual exposure, 8.8 - 45 zoom, 12,18,24 fps., case and instuctions, and seems to run good. The door seal needs replacing. It's been sitting in my garage for a couple of years. I never shot with it, but will sell it to you for the amount I paid: $2.50. If you can't afford that, make me a counter offer.

Forget Kaptain, I may well be interested in it. And if all thats wrong with it is door seal replacement, I would offer you more than $2.50 for it. I could always use a backup 24fps, manual exposure cam.

Edited by Matthew W. Phillips