Canon 1014 XL-S prices?

Sean McHenry

Topic says it all. I have found someone with a Canon 1014 XL-S with the original WA adapter. Looks pretty clean. How much should I expect to pay for a very good condition 1014 XL-S? While we are at it, how much cheaper should the 814 XL-S be?

I know it's a hard number to pin down but what is the max you would pay for these is really the question. I have an 814 AZ now but am looking for a quieter Canon to shoot a piece with.

I am expecting to get away with a 1014 XL-S for say, $250 or so? Sound about right? Trouble is, shipping will run me almost $60 (so I am told)

Opinions? Anyone have a good working 814 XL-S or 1014 XL-S they would let go for near this amount?

Thanks folks,

Sean

Sean@DeepBlueEdit.com

It's hard to say, considering they don't make them anymore people can pretty much name their own price. I have seen the 1014 go for over 800 bucks. But that was completely overhauled and serviced. Just make sure you have budgeted in enough to get the camera serviced or see that it has been serviced before you make your purchase. Good luck it really is a great super 8 cam that you will be very happy with.

- Chris Gravat

Orlando, FL

Somehow $500 seems steep to me on the 1014 XL-s. Looking at previous prices I have followed, $200 - $250 seems typical for the 814 XL-S while $300 or so seems to be where the 1014XL-s units have been in the past but yes, it is a sellers market so anything goes.

I am still interested in the 1014 XL-s but hear the 814 XL-s may be the better buy as it is lighter but still has great optics, etc. Just not exactly the same zoom range as the 1014, from what I hear on various web sites.

A few folks have e-mailed me with offers on their cameras, I appreciate that and will be letting everyone know what I go with in the next 2 days. I may stick with my 814 AZ and just build a Barney, saving the cash for film stock.

Saw a Canon 1218 go for around $150 the other day. Interesting looking camera.

Got to go, taping a television game show today and tomorrow.

Sean McHenry

Sean@DeepBlueEdit.com

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com

Edited by Sean McHenry

Oh yeah, really rare camera, that probably means it didn't sell well, I don't know why, but I don't think you should buy one, stick with a 814XL-S or 1014XL-S, I tried to buy one on eBay 3 weeks ago, but lost the bid.

DAMN !1!1! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Oh yeah, really rare camera, that probably means it didn't sell well, I don't know why, but I don't think you should buy one, stick with a 814XL-S or 1014XL-S, I tried to buy one on eBay 3 weeks ago, but lost the bid.

DAMN !1!1! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I don't know why people get so excited about the 1218 it only shoots at 18fps (no 24fps) and "slo-mo" 36fps.

• Premium Member
Somehow $500 seems steep to me on the 1014 XL-s. Looking at previous prices I have followed, $200 - $250 seems typical for the 814 XL-S while $300 or so seems to be where the 1014XL-s units have been in the past but yes, it is a sellers market so anything goes.

I am still interested in the 1014 XL-s but hear the 814 XL-s may be the better buy as it is lighter but still has great optics, etc. Just not exactly the same zoom range as the 1014, from what I hear on various web sites.

A few folks have e-mailed me with offers on their cameras, I appreciate that and will be letting everyone know what I go with in the next 2 days. I may stick with my 814 AZ and just build a Barney, saving the cash for film stock.

Got to go, taping a television game show today and tomorrow.

Sean McHenry

Sean@DeepBlueEdit.com

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com

Meanwhile A Canon GL-1 still sells for over a thousand dollars. I think a Canon 814XLS and 1014XLS could easily sell for just as much if people saw more filmmaking opportunities that could lead to paying gigs, such as being a camera operator on "Lost" and whenever the filming schedule was getting grim the operator could whip out a 1014-XLS and some 50D and grab a couple of POV shots from up in a small tree rather than lose the shots entirely because of time constraints.

I thought you were curious what we thought the Super-8 canons would sell for. In my opinion the 814XLS's usually sell between $265-$325. The 1014XLS's between $350-$475.

But inevitably sniper bidding wars can occasionally cause the cameras to rocket over those prices, but they are still well worth it.

And I'm a sneaky "top poster" to boot...

Still interested in what you folks think. Did I somehow indicate I wasn't? Sorry about that. Still am interested.

On the sniping - yeah, I have seen people pay WAY too much for things just because they get carried away or don't realize what things are really worth. I'm trying to avoid paying too much and artifically inflating prices for the next poor slob that want's to find a bargin. There is a nice looking Bauer S 209 out there right now I could go with as well. I just want something quieter and always heard the Canon s were the work horses. I will also keep my eyes open for Nikons and other "sound" cameras but want to explore the Canons first.

Thanks again for all the input. It isn't going to waste.

Sean

I thought you were curious what we thought the Super-8 canons would sell for.

But inevitabley sniper bidding wars can occasionally cause the cameras to rocket over those prices, but they are still well worth it.

• Premium Member
Still interested in what you folks think. Did I somehow indicate I wasn't? Sorry about that. Still am interested.

I know it's tough to solicit opinions and then wait until after the votes are all tallied to respond, I'm teasing you for taking a peek over each voter's shoulder while slightly nudging them if their estimates are off.

On the sniping - yeah, I have seen people pay WAY too much for things just because they get carried away or don't realize what things are really worth. I'm trying to avoid paying too much and artifically inflating prices for the next poor slob that want's to find a bargin. There is a nice looking Bauer S 209 out there right now I could go with as well. I just want something quieter and always heard the Canon s were the work horses. I will also keep my eyes open for Nikons and other "sound" cameras but want to explore the Canons first.

Thanks again for all the input. It isn't going to waste.

Sean

The best thing to happen is if a filmmaker overpays for a camera and then to justify their purchase they make a film, just let me know what you are bidding on and I'll nudge the price up for you. :D

Of course the above rule does not apply to me.

Odd you should mention this. I have been careful not to divulge my source for the camera at this time as I want to avoid creating a rush. I don't want to blow it by saying anything else but I would ask, if anyone reading this chunk of forum would please NOT work against me, this budding young(ish) future filmmaker would love to buy that camera. : )

See you all in 24 hours with the news one way or another.

Keep offering suggestions and all. I'm listening.

Also, as I mentioned before, folks have been e-mailng me offers of their Canons. I appreciate that and may very well be taking someone up on that. If anyone else has an 814 XL-s or 1014 XL-s they might want to part with please let me know. These are my first choice for my next camera. Likewise, I will offer my 814 AZ here if anyone wants it if I pick up one of the above for waht I paid for it.

Details tomorrow - maybe.

Sean

More pricing oddities:

Here are some samples of prices that show the market is all over the place on Super 8 cameras;

Canon 814 AZ - $92.51

Canon 814 AZ - $26.00

(I bought mine almost a 10 months ago for $125)

Canon 1014 AZ E - $88

Canon 1014 AZ E - $190

Canon 1014 AZ E - $61.50

Canon 1014 AZ E - $273.77

Canon 1014 AZ E - $127.50

Canon 814 XL-S - $305

Canon 814 XL-S - $495 (didn't sell - 0 bids)

These are all from this week.

Lot's of Nizo and a few Bauers as well out there.

I have about topped out on the 1014 XL-S Bidding at around $335 for now. The seller want's about $60 US for shipping from overseas so that puts me about $400 and at my limit for this time. If it goes for more, I'll buy some lighting and film stock, build a Barney and move on I suppose, or maybe take one of the folks that offered me an 814 XL-S up on thier offer and still buy some film.

Thanks for the info folks,

Sean

Final tally on the camera from last night, went for $414 as I recall. Too much for me right now. buying a light meter and film stock for now. Might grab one of the nice 814s folks offered me, sell off the AZ and recoup a bit and apply that to film stock.

Thanks again everyone. If 814 XL-s or 1014 XL-s units pop up someone is willing to part with for a reasonable amout, if you think of it, point them my way.

Thanks,

Sean