Directors who do a Hollywood remake of their own film

Jason Debus

• Premium Member

Was looking at Darius Khondji's imdb listing and I noticed this one: Funny Games (2007) directed by Michael Haneke.

My first thought was 'sell out', why would you remake something that completely works the first time around? The original was good enough that I'll probably be a sucker and go see this one too, especially since Khondji's involved as well as Naomi Watts and Tim Roth. It just saddens me when money drives the artistry and not vice versa. Also it sounds like they've neutered the ending, this is the description from imdb:

In this exploration of our violent society and how depictions of violence reflect and shape our culture, director Michael Haneke retells the story, through the eyes of middle-class housewife Anna (Naomi Watts), of how she and her husband George (Tim Roth) and their 10 years old son Georgie, submitted both physically and mentally to the tortures and death enforced upon them by two young unexpected visitors at their weekend vacation retreat near the lake.

I don't know, when Lucas redirected THX-1138 it came out better than the first one. :D What I hate is when they remake a movie that DOESN'T NEED to be remade, like Texas Chainsaw Massecre or "fix" movies that don't need to be fixed, like E.T. I hate that! If your gonna remake a movie It should be BETTER than the original. B)

Bottle Rocket anyone? I can't say I've actually seen the short as the youtube incarnation is complete crap but seriously, I love that movie. And what about sling blade->some folks call it a sling blade, a short that was used to fund the rest of a movie for your enjoyment. It's not selling out all the time.

Hideo Nakata "Ringu 2" - "Ring 2"

Alfred Hitchcock "The Man who knew to much"

The Spanish director of the film I cant remember the name of was involved in the remake "Vanilla Sky"

Although Tobe Hooper wasnt involved I believe both Texas chainsaw massacres had the same DOP

Sam Raimi "Evil dead 1" - "Evil Dead 2" theyre basically the same movie

I would argue "Rambo: First Blood" - "Rambo 2"

There are other hitchcock films aswell, I think this would be a very long list...

Oh "Boogie nights" was remade from his own film "Superstar"

• 4 weeks later...