Good dolly for me?

jijhh

I'm shooting a short that has a bunch of dolly shots, but one of the major locations is the third floor of an apartment building with a steep stairwell and no elevator. A Fisher or even a Chapman seems out of the question, but I'll need something that can carry a camera, operater, and AC. Anyone have any good skateboard dolly recommendations? It must be able to run on standard track. I'm renting in NYC if you have any specific rental houses.

Thanks

Anyone have any good skateboard dolly recommendations? It must be able to run on standard track. I'm renting in NYC if you have any specific rental houses.

Thanks

Too low budget to get the right location?

Your key grip or dolly grip should be able to make something perfect for the situation using channel wheels. I do it all of the time. Then, use a short jib arm for booming up and down. As for a specific tiny dolly with a booming arm, I don't know.

Too low budget to get the right location?

Your key grip or dolly grip should be able to make something perfect for the situation using channel wheels. I do it all of the time. Then, use a short jib arm for booming up and down. As for a specific tiny dolly with a booming arm, I don't know.

I have a small part of the budget for locations, but the thing is there's a very specific dolly shot involved that needs a certain apartment layout. The front door must be at the end of a hallway off of which there are two bedrooms, so that a straight dolly down the hall can shoot the front door, and shoot into both rooms. The location I have now is perfect, but halfway down the hall the wood turns to tile, so I have to run on track. Its a harder layout to come across than you'd expect and its not the easiest thing to search for, because I can't really call up apartment owners and ask to come in.

As for the dolly, the booming arm isn't a requirement, but a plus. I was thinking just rent a doorway dolly and then find some sort of skateboard wheel adaptor. All in all though, if I could just find a location without tile, it would make all the difference...

At Abel we have a Panther Husky dolly which should do the trick nicely. It is like a super doorway dolly. It can switch between hard wheels, soft tires and track wheels, plus it comes with an adjustable bazooka camera mount. Works great and is vastly lighter than a hydraulic dolly.

A Fisher or even a Chapman seems out of the question,

Um, why? I was just on a film where we had a Fisher 11 on the 5th floor of a tiny brownstone, no elevator.

That is, unless you are doing shots on/around the stairs themself, in which case, I dont see how any dolly could be used.

• Premium Member

The newest Panther's and Movietech dollies can be split into the center column and the actual base with a quick release. This means that one person could actually carry it up by himself in 2 trips. Not only that - once split like this, the dolly can get into places no other dolly can reach.

The newest Panther's and Movietech dollies can be split into the center column and the actual base with a quick release. This means that one person could actually carry it up by himself in 2 trips. Not only that - once split like this, the dolly can get into places no other dolly can reach.

I was gaffing a shoot with the Movietech Magnum dolly some weeks ago, and i must say that altough i'm quite a semi-bear i would rather not want to carry the center column up some stairs alone, since it's got about 80kg (circa 180lbs).

The base is a little less bulky, it could technically be carried by one person, but it has still got 60kg (130lbs).

If it's not absolutely necessary to do a boom during the shot, why not just put the sticks on a doorway? Even small jobs can usually afford to carry one anyway. How are the floors? You might get away w/ just renting a Chapman vibration isolator (you'll need heavy duty Mitchell base sticks for that.), or you might just run some shelving boards down the hallway (easier for the actors to step over ...). Or you can rent skateboard wheels and drop the doorway in them, if you have to be on track. Either way, you should give the grips a pre-call to load in so they don't have to fight all that stuff around everyone else.

Edited by Jon Rosenbloom