Contax Zeiss T* lenses

andres victorero

Hi I see in ebay some interesting lenses like a Contax 35 still cameras Zeiss T* lenses.

I´m thinking to purchase some of this lenses (50mm f:1.4, 80 f:2) and convert to Aaton mount (i have a LTR S16 cam)

Someone tried this? are good lenses for movie projects? breathes?

thanks

• Premium Member
Hi I see in ebay some interesting lenses like a Contax 35 still cameras Zeiss T* lenses.

I´m thinking to purchase some of this lenses (50mm f:1.4, 80 f:2) and convert to Aaton mount (i have a LTR S16 cam)

Someone tried this? are good lenses for movie projects? breathes?

thanks

We have a set in rental and I believe Mitch Gross owns a set. They're perfectly fine for use with S16. Optically they're swell.

The only drawback, with the one's I've had experiences with, is that they're it's difficult to set backfocus on them as there is no easy way to properly shim the mount. If the lenses are focusing way plus (infront of the focal plane) generally you have the polish the mount as there are no shims to remove. If you end up polishing too far, it takes a bit of work to shim them back up. In then end it doesn't make too much of a difference as they're typically longer focal lengths where the depth of focus is so much that you can get away with being a dozen microns off or so.

Long story short, have them collimated and don't be surprised if they need an hour or two of labor to get the mounts in spec.

As Nathan noted, I own a set. They are great and don't breathe at all. They also don't have a very helpful focus scale, focus gear or front housings that match in size. I had to have gears and front rings added to make them useful (a couple hundred bucks a lens). Also, I don't know where you'd get the Aaton munts anymore. Back in the day (a couple of decades ago), someone in England (I think ICE Film) made the Aaton mounts for them. They are custom jobs and not cheap to replicate. If ICE can't help you, perhaps Les Bosher could help you locate one.

Hi. Years ago I made this full compatible Contax-Aaton adaptor (probably the only one that you have seen it...). Zeiss-Contax lenses (made in Germany or in Japan, by Kiocera) are great lenses, and very cheap!!

post-3167-1161692553.jpg

I'm amazed that you could make it work. There's so little room in there to get accurate depth. Does the adapter let the lens fully reach infinity?

Of course. Fully collimated with the focus scale.

Hi. Years ago I made this full compatible Contax-Aaton adaptor (probably the only one that you have seen it...). Zeiss-Contax lenses (made in Germany or in Japan, by Kiocera) are great lenses, and very cheap!!

Wow, you should have made a bunch of them as I guess many LTR owner including myself wouldn´t mind owning one.