i.Robot

I heard that 80% of this movie was shot in a complete green room. That just seems unreal to me. Can somebody confirm this? I thought that it was a good movie, better than I thought the previews showed. It deserves some credit.

I have noticed some baaaaaad keying effects, like the ascending crane shot of Will Smith on top of VIKI's memory terminal. Almost any exterior shot must have had green screen elements, so 50% seems possible.

Nice movie, but many long shots looked very soft. Some shots stood out because they were so unsharp that they should have been reshot, two horrible closeups of the leading lady come to my mind.

I ran I,Robot at the drive in,in fact we're still running it.It's doing very well.O noticed the number of soft scenes,so much so I kept checking focus to see if the lens had been shifted by projector vibration.I had not seen a film so difficult to maintain sharpnedd since X-Men.

Marty

I think I'm gonna wait for the DVD, if even that.

Will Smith is a decent actor, but I just cringe at the miscasting that goes on with studio pictures.

They seem to slap just anyone "bankable" into any picture, thinking everyone's going to flock to see that person.

A futuristic sci-fi story, with Will doing his "street-smart, wise crackin' "thang" just seems completely stupid to me.

I'll bet you twenty bucks he says the line "that's what I'm talkin' about" in this film.

Matt Pacini

• Premium Member

I was pleasantly surprised, actually. I though there were some brilliant allegories for

humanity, uprising and even fascism in there. But I do agree that Will Smith is a bit

wrong for it - the film has some serious and interesting themes, but they're just hard to focus on when there's a comedian in the lead.

The look was also very slick and commercial-y. A bit too much car commercial at times and some annoying camera movements here and there. And I just have this thing with 3/4 sidelight and a backlight on the opposite side - it just looks artifical to me...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I just got back from watching the movie.

I thought the movie was bland, the story was bland and it fell flat on me by the third act.

It was easy for me to figure out the story.

As for the lighting and knowing how much green screen went into it, I thought it held up pretty good. I could tell the green screen scenes. There were some that were far noticable. But it held up pretty good and the transitions from none green to green were to me, above acceptable.

Now, the Robots and the truck and the....never mind.... :D

C.-

PS: About them robots.....aghhghghg can we say Star Wars Episode II code-reuse....