All the invisible children - shooting gauge?

Lav Bodnaruk

Hey guys, just thought i throw this out there... since its been bugging me a bit. If you have seen this film "All the Invisible Children", then you know its 7 shorts by worlds great directors.... now, its obvious they'd be shot on 35mm but Blue Gypsy (3rd story) - directed by Emir Kusturica was different... anyone know what it was done on?

Cant find much on it, but here is an insert from that particular short on YouTube...

Hey Roberto,

the file on YouTube is really low quality, you are right, but I am hinting towards 16mm or even 8mm. I watched it in a cinema, and it stood out like a sore thumb against other shorts that were obviously on 35mm... the grain was huge and at moments it appeared to look like video. I know its not though, since the 'feature' was produced by a company that I am sure would not allow it - I mean, mixing the gauges like that... but who knows?

Since I am a huge FAN of Kusturica and his work, I am very well aware of his recent obsession with super 8mm (he shot his last doco on it - his band on tour) so my thoughts went to that straight away... I somehow doubt he would be allowed to work with super 8mm and mix it with other 6 shorts on 35mm... maybe he shot 16mm? maybe he shot 35mm and 16mm, mixing? that last one sounds like the most feasable...

Yeah, extremely hard to tell with a YouTube clip.

But some of the shots near the beginning of the boy walking up to the car and such looked pretty close to HD to me. Also there's a POV shot from the boy's perspective just before he hops the wall that looked like HD as well.

Who knows?

Hi! This is a good short I had not seen! Althought the quality of the youtube file is really poor, I would highly doubt it is anything but 16mm or 35mm, it is obviously not Super 8mm, it would not make sense to crop super 8mm to 2:35 ratio. My guess is 35mm, a grainy stock, because it is unusual to crop 16mm to 2:35 ratio as well. But it could be 16mm since you are mentionning the incredibly grainy images. We'd have to see to know. And I am positive it was not shot on HD, Emir Kusturica is a film guy.

Christophe C

And I am positive it was not shot on HD, Emir Kusturica is a film guy.

Christophe C

found this link just now, the official web site:

http://www.alltheinvisiblechildrenmovie.com/index2.pl

marjan_1small.jpg

maybe that still ought to put an end to this discussion.... dam;

For those who live in Brisbane Australia, the film is screening at teh Palace Centro Cinema on 18th of November, Saturday at 1:45PM....

I am not sure what is going on with the ration there... could it be that who ever uploaded the file did some cropping themselves?

thanks guys!

Edited by Lav Bodnaruk

You are most right there...chances are he was using that as his own directors viewfinder... or similar?But then again, the film did stand out like a sore thumb when i saw it at the cinemas...

Still, video? I really doubt it...

I'd love for someone that has seen this film in the cinema to give their 2cents, since that YouTube is pathetic to be able to tell anything... and i think they mixed mediums in the film, so the clip in YouTube is only couple of minutes long - whilst the short is 20min...

Thanks Christophe!

In regards to the photo. I didn't watch the whole short, but just in the first few shots I got the feeling it was a DVX or similar on a glide cam type stick from the movement of the frame.

Check out how when the camera moves it almost appears to be moving around the axis of, or directly behind, the lens. With most 35 cameras if your not steady cam it is going to be on your shoulder, which doesn't create quite the same movement, it would be more tripod like in its pans, and the movement didn't look very steady cammish to me.

The last short I shot on the DVX was entirely on a glide cam, and whenever I wasn't holding it steady (between takes) it looked alot like the movement in the first few shots of that youtube clip.

anyway my 2 cents.

... another thought, if it looked like he was mixing up formats throughout the piece, perhaps he was using the animorphic adapter during some of the shots. The way it softens the image, and allows you to use the whole ccd is enough to look like a slightly different format.

-luke