Latest video I did

Hi! Here is a link to the latest music video I did the DP on, video is of Marabu, another band from Quebec. Director is Martin Fournier, he let me do pretty much everything I wanted to do, I shot this on 16mm, 7205, used long lenses for quite a bit of it and lit everything with HMI, I had a 4K, a 1.2K and 2 x 575W. Simple package, but this is my best lighting so far I think.

http://www.marabu.ca, then click on video, the video is of the song "Tu me Manques", song #1

Please let me know what you think!!

:D

Christophe

• Premium Member

I like the framing very much - great use of negative space and the 1.33:1 aspect ratio. The lighting seems very spare and minimalist - I see what you were going for, but I'm personally a fan of more baroque lighting styles with crazy colors, chiaroscuro, smoke, shafts of light. The look you chose works well with the song and the concept, though.

You've got an eye, that's for sure!

very nice work - my only concern is the negative framing works really well but is it in the TV safe zones. I recently got burnt by shooting nice negative space and on my SONY Pro it looked great but one couldn't see half the shot on a normal TV...however for the web it is fine

thanks

Rolfe

Hi, thanks all for the comments! I actually have no clue how it looks on tv! I had a 1:33 groundglass and I framed for tv safe zone, I watch it on DVD it looked good but I have not seen it playing on Musique Plus, our provincial MTV if I can say so... I guess it probably is quite tight... I am really no big fan of 1:33 ratio in 16mm, I think it makes it look like DV... ...The director wanted it to be 1:33, in his mind, bigger is better. I told him i'd be more comfortable in S16mm with more reasonable ratio, 1:78 or 1:85. It is big crop in the negative, which is already quite small... But it turned out better than I expected, not much grain actually, I was quite happy. But I look forward to a production with sufficient money to allow 35mm!! It should soon come, I helped out a friend on a video sunday, he was shooting anamorphic, I fell in love with the lenses.... Serie E, not the best but beautiful flares and a particular softness which I quite liked... Well, I am of topic here!

Thanks again for your comments!

Christophe

Hi Michael! I can't be of great help here, I am using a mac and this video is a Windows Media Player one... I actually posted this without seeing it a priori! I only viewed it on DVD, not on the web... But did you go in the video section? You can access it from the top menu, or straight from the ad they posted on the page as you enter the website, if you did, then just click on the tumbnail #1 and it should be fine, the song title again is Tu me manques, not Que des Mots, that also might be why, you did not click on the right song....

Hope this helped you a bit!

Chris

• Premium Member
Hi Michael! I can't be of great help here, I am using a mac and this video is a Windows Media Player one... I actually posted this without seeing it a priori! I only viewed it on DVD, not on the web... But did you go in the video section? You can access it from the top menu, or straight from the ad they posted on the page as you enter the website, if you did, then just click on the tumbnail #1 and it should be fine, the song title again is Tu me manques, not Que des Mots, that also might be why, you did not click on the right song....

Hope this helped you a bit!

Chris

Hi Chris, I'm using a Mac w/Firefox (Safari can't support WMP on the intel iMacs) and it pops up the video for "Que des Mots" on BOTH thumbnails for "Tu Me Manques" and "Que des Mots." :( I assure you I've clicked the right one!

Just wanted to check out your work...

Yeah I know what you are talking about Michael, this is weird, my brother has the quicktime plug-in for Windows Media files as well and it does the same on his mac on firefox, I could not watch it on my mac, don't have the plug-in... But it's the right video playing on PC...

I have noticed the band already...

Sorry Michael, hope they fix this soon,

Thanks,

Christophe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Chris, I'm using a Mac w/Firefox (Safari can't support WMP on the intel iMacs) and it pops up the video for "Que des Mots" on BOTH thumbnails for "Tu Me Manques" and "Que des Mots." :( I assure you I've clicked the right one!

Just wanted to check out your work...

i get the same error here using firefox in XP ...

(on an intel mac) - take a look at http://www.flip4mac.com/ for WMV files in OS X

Edited by Nick Mulder