Thinking of trying Eterna 250T on std 16

Matt Irwin

Just curious how 8653 is on standard 16 with regards to grain and contrast-- Never used Fuji stocks before and I'm thinking of trying it on a project coming up.

Tape finish on Pro50 or digibeta, going for a 50% desat/hi-con look.

Just curious how 8653 is on standard 16 with regards to grain and contrast-- Never used Fuji stocks before and I'm thinking of trying it on a project coming up.

I am just doing my DI on a short that we shot with the 8653 on super 16. I was very pleased with the results. I imagine that if you had a great camera with an even better lens and the transfer was top notch, you would get stellar results. Here is an example of what we shot, it is a one light for edited, but I have seen some of my footage onlined and it was incredible. www.chrisburke.net then click on the link labled "Gates clips 2".

I have done a project the summer using eterna 250 t s 16 and the film was very good. In interiors ihad used

4 dedos and an arri soft the contras was very good and the colors were perfect. I a scene using fluoresent lights warm white was desaturated alot. Not grain at all. Even after the blow up to 35.

• 6 months later...

Last summer I shot a Super 16 feature where we used Fuji stocks, I opted for the Eterna 500T (about 90% of the film) and the F-64D. The reason I used 500T was that according to the spec sheets, it has the same RMS granularity as both 250 speed stocks, so I figured there wasn't much point to carrying more stocks if there wasn't a grain advantage. I also rated the stock at 320 which probably helped.

I did not shoot tests comparing the 250 stocks, so who knows, but I was very happy with the look of the Eterna 500T for whatever that's worth. It matched very well with the day exteriors on 64D, no big differences in grain that I noticed, in SD dailies telecine anyways...

Rick,

I just shot another short project on 8653 Super16 using older Zeiss MK1 primes, TK'd on a Spirit 2k. The results were better than I had hoped for. I haven't shot 7217 on a project but I have tested it, and I'd say that 53 is a bit less grainy and contrast is very close. It stands up surprisingly well to high contrast lighting (I was around 5:1 or 6:1). Very smooth stock.

Hope that helps.

• Premium Member
The reason I used 500T was that according to the spec sheets, it has the same RMS granularity as both 250 speed stocks

Eterna 500T has the granularity of the old 250 stocks ('52 & '62), not the new Eterna 250 stocks ('53 & '63).

Eterna 500T has the granularity of the old 250 stocks ('52 & '62), not the new Eterna 250 stocks ('53 & '63).

Not according to the Fuji spec sheets, which list '53, '63 and '73 as ALL having an RMS granularity of 3.5. As I said, I haven't tested them myself and it might be that this doesn't really reflect what you see on the screen, but that's what they state in the brochures that I've got.

Chris, I went to your website but I couldn't find any link labelled "Gates clips 2". I did click on 'Gates' though that led to a series of production stills.

check the link that says "preview"

chris

Nice work Chris. The footage is very natural looking and I liked soft light. Nice and sharp too. Ive just got a 16mm work print back made from a roll of Fuji Eterna 250D negative I exposed a little while ago. Viewing several frames with a loupe, the images looked fairly clean and fine grained to my eyes.