Bolex Rx Viewfinder, 10x vs. 13x

Jeremy Rumas

I have been shooting with a Bolex Rx 5 with a 10x viewfinder. I would like to hear from anyone who has shot with both the 10x, and 13x viewfinder, in regard to which one they prefer.

I have been told by a Bolex dealer before that he actually was able to focus with the 10x easier than with the 13x. I wonder if its because the 13x distorts the image, sort of giving it a fish-eye look.

Myself, I have been having some difficulty acheiving sharp focus at times with this Bolex with the 10x viewfinder, especially in low light. I do the best I can, and then cross my fingers hoping I've nailed it. Sometimes its sharp, sometimes its a little soft. So I am wondering if getting my viewfinder converted to the 13x would help or be worth it.

As a sidenote, my eyes are not perfect. I don't have terrible vision, but I do wear glasses. But I have found it too difficult to shoot using the Bolex with my glasses on. So I have the diopter set to my naked eye. I'm curious if other glasses wearing Bolex users shoot without their glasses for the same reason.

thanks,

Jeremy Rumas

Myself, I have been having some difficulty acheiving sharp focus at times with this Bolex with the 10x viewfinder, especially in low light. I do the best I can, and then cross my fingers hoping I've nailed it. Sometimes its sharp, sometimes its a little soft. So I am wondering if getting my viewfinder converted to the 13x would help or be worth it.

You should go and check this out http://www.super16inc.com/page3.html might be a less expensive fix instead of buying a new Rex5.

As a sidenote, my eyes are not perfect. I don't have terrible vision, but I do wear glasses. But I have found it too difficult to shoot using the Bolex with my glasses on. So I have the diopter set to my naked eye. I'm curious if other glasses wearing Bolex users shoot without their glasses for the same reason.

I too have my diopters set to my eyesight. That is the wonderful thing about diopters. I use a Bolex Rex2 with a 10x and found it so much easier to focus than the previous 6x model. I don't think going to a 13x will make that much difference, but then again it's a personal thing. I would try one first though before buying it. It may be not worth the hassle in that it may take a whole different camera such as an Arri or Eclair to get what you are looking for in a viewfinder.

Edited by Bryan Darling

Thanks for the feedback guys. Bryan, thanks for that link. I had not heard of that process before. Sounds very interesting.

I have been planning on getting my Rx 5 converted to Super 16 soon. I didn't know a 13x viewfinder was required for this. But if so, sounds like that could help me out with this issue.

Jeremy Rumas

Thanks for the feedback guys. Bryan, thanks for that link. I had not heard of that process before. Sounds very interesting.

I have been planning on getting my Rx 5 converted to Super 16 soon. I didn't know a 13x viewfinder was required for this. But if so, sounds like that could help me out with this issue.

Jeremy Rumas

On Chambless website [ http://www.chamblesscineequip.com/catalog/catalog.htm ] it's optional. However the viewfinder does need to be modified, if you plan on seeing all of what is going on film.

I have been shooting with a Bolex Rx 5 with a 10x viewfinder. I would like to hear from anyone who has shot with both the 10x, and 13x viewfinder, in regard to which one they prefer....

Not to confuse the issue, but I have found that the 10X finder is best for focusing, but the old 6X finder as on the Reflex and Rex-1 is better for judging composition of the scene. I have not tried the 13X.