Any footage available? What movies have used Arri 2c?

melvin butler

Hey guys, new to the forum...but not the site.

I'm interested in learning everything possible about this camera...I want to study it, I wanna learn it...I wanna be an expert on anything this 35mm arri offers.

I'm just curious if there are any movies that have shot with this camera...or is there any footage online I can check out? I've been looking for a nice film camera to own, and been seeing the 2c on eBay for cheap. (Cheap in the $6,000-$13,000 sense). So for the last few weeks I've been reading everything I possibly can about it, and so far everything is right up my alley...just can't find a manual anywhere :(

Any footage? Which films are shot on it?

Thanks guys.

• Premium Member

I'm interested in learning everything possible about this camera...I want to study it, I wanna learn it...I wanna be an expert on anything this 35mm arri offers.

I'm just curious if there are any movies that have shot with this camera...or is there any footage online I can check out? I've been looking for a nice film camera to own, and been seeing the 2c on eBay for cheap. (Cheap in the $6,000-$13,000 sense). So for the last few weeks I've been reading everything I possibly can about it, and so far everything is right up my alley...just can't find a manual anywhere :(

Thanks guys.

Hi,

The Arri 2a is from the 1930's the 2c from the late 1960's. The Arri 2 is a noisy MOS camera, they have been used on 1000's films. FWIW the camera will perform as well as a new camera today if it't working properly.

Manuals are available on Ebay.

Stanley K used a 2c for hand held shots on Clockwork Orange, The Shining & others.

Stephen

Stephen

Hi,

The Arri 2a is from the 1930's the 2c from the late 1960's. The Arri 2 is a noisy MOS camera, they have been used on 1000's films. FWIW the camera will perform as well as a new camera today if it't working properly.

Manuals are available on Ebay.

Stanley K used a 2c for hand held shots on Clockwork Orange, The Shining & others.

Stephen

Stephen

Arri 2c is a good camera if maintained well.lots of world class movies were made in them.S.Ray & his cinematographer suvroto mitra extensively shot in 2c.technically single claw mechanism in its sprocket system was said to be a disadvantage.overall it is a good camera which serves purpose.

Arri 2c is a good camera if maintained well.lots of world class movies were made in them.S.Ray & his cinematographer suvroto mitra extensively shot in 2c.technically single claw mechanism in its sprocket system was said to be a disadvantage.overall it is a good camera which serves purpose.

sorry stephen this reply was for melvin.

• Premium Member
Thx guys...

A lot of the action shots in the car chase in "Bullitt" were taken with 2C's. One was hid behind a parked white Ford and died when the stunt driver in the Dodge lost it coming around a turn and stuffed the Ford. You can see some of the camera's accessories lying on the sidewalk in the following shot in the movie. In the "Steve McQueen's Commitment to Reality" featurette on the special edition DVD the reverse of the shot where the Dodge hits the car is in the sequence and you can see the camera fly across the sidewalk. No better proof that at least one 2C was used!

I addition to what Stephan mentioned about their use in films, the arri 2c has been extensively used on commercials for decades, being replaced for some with an Arri 3. Both cameras have been used on a variety of commercials and table top work where sound recording is not neccessary.

And if I am not mistaken, there was a version of the 2c, perhaps it was the 2a or its predecessor, that the Nazi's used in their airplanes to photograph dogfights. But perhaps someone with more knowledge of that can chime in.

In many respects the Arri 2 series is the 35mm version of Arri S series.

Best

Tim

Edited by timHealy

Thanks guys.

Hi Melvin

I own an arri 2c camera. A good package of an arri 2c will is going to create for you hight quality pictures for your movies.( crystal motor, pl mound) At Europe this camera is still working alot for steady cam use for handheld use commercials music videos and alot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

An Arri 2C was used to shoot all of Easy Rider, almost all of Clockwork Orange, almost all of the Sergio Leone westerns, and much of the MOS shots in the original Star Wars, including medium and closeup shots of Darth Vader, whose dialogue was overdubbed.

Looking at footage online will not do any good.

Thousand of films have used the Arriflex as a MOS camera or even as a main camera (in combination with a blimp housing to silence it).

Remember it is the LENS that creates and shapes the picture, not the camera itself. You can put a 50 year old Schneider or Kinoptik lens on a 2C and it will give you 1950s specs in terms of performance. You can put a 1990a Zeiss lens on, and you have the same lens that Kubrick preferred in his last films. You can use still lenses and they'll give you another look and texture.

Important facts about the Arri:

- It's a very simple camera, easy to operate and service. There's a lot of equipment that fits the Arri.

- The Arri will give you good steadiness if it has been serviced and lubricated properly. But the registration accuracy is not good enough for optical work/visual effects footage. No problems in standard footage.

- As with any vintage camera, you are asking for trouble and will waste time & money if you buy a camera and expect it to work fine. Unless you have experience, go to a service pro, have the camera cleaned and checked and especially have every lens checked for proper adjustment.

Do not worry about using vintage equipment, make sure it is in good condition.

Just some more films for the record:

DAS BOOT (DP: Jost Vacano) was filmed with an Arri 2B

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD was filmed with an Arri in a sound blimp IIRC

Many of R.W. Fassbinders films were done with Arri 2C, like many European films of the 1960s and 1970s .

Edited by Christian Appelt

I'm also a II c owner, shot an entire feature with it and then post dubbed everything (http://www.geocities.com/gselinsky/nonsync.html).

It's a reliable strong beast. I wouldn't run it at high speeds though (above 32 fps), that's asking for registration hell. Some people claim to be able to use high speed with it, but maybe their cameras are modified...

As is correctly said, the lenses are the real deal. Usually the IIc's come with either Schneider Xenons or Cooke Panchro's, those are from the fifties. It's a softer, lower contrast look generally speaking. I actually think it's nice, but it's not that sharp snappy Zeiss look that you're probably used to seeing.

- G.