Debate Thread - Sharpness of S8

Matthew Buick

Hello,

This is a Debate Thread, one person (namely me) starts a conversation, and that is debated about until someone comes along with another topic.

I think we need something like this, other Threads often end up going onto another subject, and its nice to have a totally genral discussion topic.

TODAY'S TOPIC : Has the sharpness of Super 8 come on much since the earliest days of Kodachrome 40 at children's parties and such, or has there only been a reduction in grain, or are there other aspect I have missed?

Enjoy,

Matthew Buick.

This was meant to be a completely genral thread, shifting from topic to topic every few days, and I have just came up with something that may save this thread...

...My 11 year old brother has just been grounded for a week for trying to steal a Gingerbread Man, the shopkeeper grabbed the cake at the same time as my brother, and the head snapped off in his hand, he then ran off with it before being stopped by a member of the public, he is curently in HUGE trouble.

Wait, who got the head and does that constitute a possible granted wish, in the same manner as obtaining the large end of the wishbone?

And did the gingerbread man have a pressure plate?

This is a good thread Matthew. :)

Edited by Peter Tripodi

Well, let me recap, my brother, after a hard day at school, decided to treat himself to a Gingerbread Man, finding out that he couldn't afford the both Gingerbread Man and the 3 mile bus ride home he instinctivly made an attept to steal the aforementioned cake, luckily, the heroic shopkeeper, obviously used to having to rescue his stock for 11 year old teenage wannabes, stuck his hand out in a gallant attempt to reposess the cake, unfortunately, my brother already had a hold on the poor Ginger's head, and as he took off, the head parted company with the torso just aove the neck, a heroic local apprehended the young shoplifter, and he came home in a police car.

He is currently in enormous trouble.

To my knowledge, the Gingerbread Man posessed no Pressure Plate, nor was his severed head an omen of good luck, especially for my dear brother.

NEW TOPIC : What Camera(s) do you own ?

I have a Canon 310XL and a Sankyo CME 1100, which I'm thinking of selling, I love it, and got the hang of it in about 15 minutes, but it's simply too loud, and I'm not sure how good its low light functions are.

Matthew Buick, depressed about losing his best friend Camera.

Have you shot any film with those cameras, Matthew? I own a Canon 310XL as well; I've had it since I was 13, which was in 1980, also known as the year that "Back In Black" was released for the planet to relish in. I got a paper route specifically to save money to buy a Super 8 camera and quit delivering papers once I had enough money to buy one. Of course, I had to pick up another route as soon as I realized that my productions would need certain other things; like film, for example. But that's another story. Does your Sankyo camera meter today's S8 cartridges correctly? Personally speaking, that seems like a pretty decent camera. It was state-of-the-art in its day, that's for sure. If it can meter modern S8 cartridges I'd stick with it. Forget dialogue for now and stick to soundtracks with music and nice SFX; it'll force you to tell your stories visually. Trust me, you'll become a better cinematographer by leaps and bounds and you might even develop into a full-blown filmmaker in your own right. You've got an excellent since of humor in spite of your age; perhaps you can harness that energy and make some wonderful films.

Have you shot any film with those cameras, Matthew? I own a Canon 310XL as well; I've had it since I was 13, which was in 1980, also known as the year that "Back In Black" was released for the planet to relish in. I got a paper route specifically to save money to buy a Super 8 camera and quit delivering papers once I had enough money to buy one. Of course, I had to pick up another route as soon as I realized that my productions would need certain other things; like film, for example. But that's another story. Does your Sankyo camera meter today's S8 cartridges correctly? Personally speaking, that seems like a pretty decent camera. It was state-of-the-art in its day, that's for sure. If it can meter modern S8 cartridges I'd stick with it. Forget dialogue for now and stick to soundtracks with music and nice SFX; it'll force you to tell your stories visually. Trust me, you'll become a better cinematographer by leaps and bounds and you might even develop into a full-blown filmmaker in your own right. You've got an excellent since of humor in spite of your age; perhaps you can harness that energy and make some wonderful films.

Yes, I have tried film in both, I shot my first ever Super 8 with that Canon, and therefore it has a special place in my heart, I have also shot film in the Sankyo, which can meter 6-6400 ASA, so I'll stick with that, thank you.

Matthew,

Have you sent your film off to Andec yet?

Last I remember was that you were about to do the 15 euros deal they have to process a roll of 64t and send it to you.

It great to shoot your first roll but nothing is exciting as getting it back!

you should think about getting a projector from ebay too, if you want to watch it as it was intended!

Grant

• 2 weeks later...