Apocalypto

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

...Lots to say about the currency of truth in fiction film, but I feel like I have voiced my views on this one so I'm going to check out of this thread for a while. I look forward to hearing what other people think about this stuff.

Steve

I saw it last night...Aside from a case of what I call "Apocalypto neck" from having to strain back in my seat (I was way up front in the theater! Guh...that's the worst seat!), I really enjoyed it. I've always been interested in ancient civilizations, dating back to my archaeology geek days at the age of 11. It was just a really visually rich movie to watch, which was great. I have no problem with how any of the people in the movie, Mayan or settler, were portrayed, because as far as I know of the Mayan culture, Mel Gibson was basically telling it like it was. Of COURSE the movie was violent...the Maya were a violent culture. As for the settlers at the end, why WOULD they be portrayed as saviours instead of threats? I mean, come on. You've got this civilization in the jungle and you've been used to this way of life for centuries and a bunch of guys in a boat come along gawking at you? This has nothing to do with political correctness; I think the reaction of the Mayan characters at the end of the movie was more indicative of human nature, fear of the unknown, something we all possess no matter which race we are from.

Anyway, I could definitely tell at some points, especially being so friggin' close!, that it was shot digitally. But there was so much to see, that I was willing to let it slide. I think with movies of this genre, it doesn't really matter what you shoot it on, because your audience is going to get so swept up in the action. As I've gotten older and started working in the film industry, I've noticed that my tastes in film have changed a little. Sometimes the idea of sitting there and watching an "artsy" film where I feel like I'm constantly analyzing and taking it apart as I watch, is not my idea of fun. From the perspective of both an aspiring cinematographer and a sound designer, there's something to be said for these big, epic films where you can truly suspend your disbelief and allow yourself to get swallowed up by it.

This movie turned my thinking around about a lot of things and in its own way, was as thought-provoking as any art-house film. For one thing, I can't wait to work with the Genesis. I've worked with the D-20 and seen its advantages and disadvantages, and now I'm curious about this camera too.

For another, I was surprised to find myself somewhat changing my stance on the whole "HD versus film" debate (no, don't start it again! By the way, ask me about my HD Versus Film Drinking Game). For the longest time I gleefully bit people's heads off when they proclaimed "Film is dead, HD will prevail" and called them things like "sell-out" and worse. It wasn't so much what they were saying, it was the attitude behind it. You know what? In the end, it's the same damn thing...a camera making a movie. Whatever format you choose will have its advantages and disadvantages, which thankfully I think most people on this forum are smart enough to see. I think this film was a perfect candidate for HD. I think I'll pass on "Superman", but I've already seen enough of what the Genesis can do, that I am finally starting to budge on my "Film's not dead" stance. Sure, it's not dead, but times ARE changing, and it's equally exciting to be a part of that, too.

Everyone who knows me well is surprised that I enjoyed this film as much as I did, but yeah, I really liked it. I'm not sure how much this has changed my general opinion on Mel Gibson, but as a product of its own, it was a fun film.

The closing lines:

Seven: What are they?

Jaguar Paw: They bring men.

Seven: Should we go to them?

Jaguar Paw: We must go to the forest. To seek a new beginning. Come, Turtles Run...

Does that sound as if the Spanairds are saviours or another group of dangerous savages?

It sounds like Mel Gibson grew up reading "The Phantom" comic strip like I did :D

-Sam Wells

You know what? In the end, it's the same damn thing...a camera making a movie.

Hey Annie, glad to hear you like it...

In my opinion I hope one day its just LENS in FILMMAKERS HANDS to make a movie, no?

One can dream...

Take care, glad to hear you are doing well in NY.

-felipe.

Personally, and not that I'm any real feature expert, I enjoyed the film alot, but did have a little hard time at first watching whatever frame rate they shot it in. It just felt a little too National Geographic at first. Perhaps I just haven't seen enough features like that though? I have to give Semler credit because he made it work, and conveyed the story visually, and I'm glad I was uncomfortable, because I think the more variation in film industry we have, the better. The choice to shoot film or digital shouldn't be made based on cost effectiveness (though unfortunately, and especially for starving film students like myself it can be a unfortunate necessity :lol: ) but on whatever the DP felt would best fit the story and art of the film.