First Reel! Looking for feedback!

Hi everyone! I just finished my first DOP reel, its very static, not much movement, but hey, I am photographer at the basis and I have only been DPing stuff for 6 months... Its on my website, http://www.christophecollette.com/demo.html, please let me know what you think!!

Thanks a lot!!!

C :D

Hi guys, thanks for the good comments, it's very much appreciated. True, I still struggle my way through a day when shooting with film lights and heavy gear, I am learning, my last job is the best, a commercial for an insurance company I shot last week, I have not been able to put my hand on the footage yet... I will put it up here when I get it. This demo was done re-editing existing videos I DPed on in the last five-six months, from DVDs using Mpeg Streamclip, I did the editing in FCP at home, I needed a reel fast, for a job, so I put this up sunday night, I am going to redo it soon starting from the Digital transferts of the films with all the footage shot... It should be more interesting and the quality should also be better.

Most of it was shot on film ( all but my first video which was shot on the DVX100A (the silly guy breakdancing) and a few images from a video using the HVX200 ( the deer in the boat and stuff)). So film it is for the rest, 35mm (very few shots), 16mm (most of it), super 8mm, transferred on telecine, either on the Quadra, or the Spirit. I used a Aaton 16mm, Arri SR2 and SR3, Bolex, a crappy minolta 8mm, and a Arri 435... Most of it was shot on 7205.

The overexposed shots were exposed just a tad over normal exposure, 2/3 a stop if remember correctly, the rest is just color correction on Quadra, blasted the whites and desaturated...

Hope this answers your questions!

Christophe

Chris - bon travaille!!! well done!!! :)

Really loved the clip - I was trying to figure out where you shot all of this? I checked your website and it says your in Montreal (I'm in Ottawa and I'm constantly in Montreal every second week or so) and I was trying to figure our the locations of some of your shots such as the Corn Field and the Beach scene of the couple kissing. Overall - really loved it and I wish you the best with your D.P'ing.

my best,

Joey Dee

Hi Joey, thanks for the comments, all of it was shot in or around montreal, all but for the BW beach shots which which were shot in Halifax (Martinique Beach) in october. The corn field is about 45 minutes out on highway 10 going south, around Mont-St-Hilaire but there are endless corn fields everywhere here so... And the sandpit is just a little ways farther still on highway 10. The appartments are all my friends places, downtown and plateau.

There is just a lot of bringing the right stuff in there, most of the DA on the clips is stuff I bought at value villages and equivalents on a road trip across Canada, from BC to Quebec a year ago... I got this trailer full of funky stuff from all across, a bargain.

Cheers! If you ever need a location in Montreal, just email me, I know my way around.

The corn field is about 45 minutes out on highway 10 going south, around Mont-St-Hilaire but there are endless corn fields everywhere here so...

Cheers! If you ever need a location in Montreal, just email me, I know my way around.

Hey Chris,

I thought it was maybe St-Ecynt or something like that I remember I went there to meet with an artist in august and it was all like farming and stuff... but totally loved the framing you did for the corn field - well done!!!

And I'll for sure maintain contact as I will be filming another short during Spring time when the weather cools off so I can shoot outside - I'll email you the StoryBoard and Give you a little more info!

my best,

Joey Dee

• 2 weeks later...