Your favourite anamorphic films?

Adam Paul

What are everybody?s favourite anamorphic films? Not talking about 2.35:1/2.40:1 films, only films actually shot using any kind of anamorphic process.

Mine are, in no particular order, Chinatown, Blade Runner, Batman Begins, Superman and Taxi Driver.

Edited by Adam Paul

• Premium Member
Really? Was it cut to 2.35:1 then?

How about your favourite ones?

No. Taxi Driver was never cut to or projected in 2.35:1. If you want to check out an exemplary use of framing and space in the anamorphic format, I'd recommend Scarface, shot by John Alonzo. You might also want to check out Northfork, shot by David Mullen, especially if you are able to see it in its original anamorphic framing.

• Premium Member

Just some of my favorite films for anamorphic photography (skipping 65mm movies, Techniscope, Super-35 for the moment):

Any Kurosawa anamorphic movie (Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, Red Beard, High & Low, Bad Sleep Well, Sanjuro) Dr. Zhivago, Bridge on the River Kwai

Apocalypse Now

Blade Runner, Alien

Superman: The Movie

A Bridge Too Far

JFK, Snow Falling on Cedars

Raiders of the Lost Ark, Close Encounters

Thin Red Line, The New World

Heat

The Elephant Man

Some frames from Kurosawa's movies:

redbeard2.jpg

yojimbo1.jpg

yojimbo2.jpg

yojimbo3.jpg

yojimbo4.jpg

Thanks for all replies.

I was just watching Jackie Chan's The Myth (San wa) and I was paying attention to the details of the photography. I noticed that basically everything was always in focus, save for some extreme close up or a few other close ups. Is this a normal way of working in anamorphic photography or is it just a side effect or having to shoot with a fat T-stop because the lenses are slower?

• Premium Member
Thanks for all replies.

I was just watching Jackie Chan's The Myth (San wa) and I was paying attention to the details of the photography. I noticed that basically everything was always in focus, save for some extreme close up or a few other close ups. Is this a normal way of working in anamorphic photography or is it just a side effect or having to shoot with a fat T-stop because the lenses are slower?

Shallower depth of field tends to be a characteristic of anamorphic, not deeper focus, since the focal lengths are longer on average (you'd use a 40mm anamorphic to get the same view as a 20mm spherical in Super-35).

A T/4 in anamorphic is like shooting at a T/2 in spherical in terms of depth of field. In order to get deep-focus effects in his anamorphic movies, Kurosawa sometimes lit sets to f/22!

If the movie was anamorphic (that's what the IMDB says...), you may be seeing the fake deep-focus effect from using wider-angle lenses, where the background recedes in size so much that it looks more in-focus than it actually is, because the details are smaller in the frame.

Shallower depth of field tends to be a characteristic of anamorphic, not deeper focus, since the focal lengths are longer on average (you'd use a 40mm anamorphic to get the same view as a 20mm spherical in Super-35).

A T/4 in anamorphic is like shooting at a T/2 in spherical in terms of depth of field. In order to get deep-focus effects in his anamorphic movies, Kurosawa sometimes lit sets to f/22!

If the movie was anamorphic (that's what the IMDB says...), you may be seeing the fake deep-focus effect from using wider-angle lenses, where the background recedes in size so much that it looks more in-focus than it actually is, because the details are smaller in the frame.

I will watch it again and pay attention to what you said. As I said everything seemed to always be in focus. It may have been the effect you're talking about. But the film is sure anamorphic. I remember a scene where Jackie points a flashlight to the camera and a horizontal blue flare forms from one side to the other on the screen.

I have been buying a lot of DVDs of anamorphic films lately. I bought like 32 just this past month. Interesting how some movies you wouldn't think to be anamorphic actually are, like LXG (lots of CGI set extensions) or Alien (basically all shot in tight spaces in the spaceship) and others I would think should/would have been are not, like Black Hawk Down.

Drifting off of anamorphic photography, I pulled these examples of what Leone was able to do with 2-perf spherical 35mm (Techniscope):

ffdollarsmore1.jpg

ffdollarsmore2.jpg

Yeah, I have the Eastwood/Leone films. Truely great compositions.

To get that deep focus he must have stopped the lens down quite a bit. I wonder how good sharpness looked on the big screen.

I think David Bordwell has written the best material about changes in widescreen style, including a recent blog post about Techniscope .

In short, he prefers the wide-angle - deep focus and widescreen - experimentation of the Techniscope films directed by Sidney J. Furie, (such as The Appaloosa and The Ipcress File) in preference to contemporary widescreen films that rely too heavily on quickly cut close-ups.

I'm still waiting for a Super 35 film that uses aggressive deep focus, but isn't cut too fast so that the depth can actually be used to stage the scene.

But anyway, here are some anamorphic films, from early CinemaScope to Panavision that I really like. Some purely because of the cinematography, but most because of good cinematography and direction.

Beneath the 12-Mile Reef

King of the Khyber Rifles

A Star is Born (The first great CinemaScope film in my opinion)

Garden of Evil

Carmen Jones

East of Eden

Rebel Without A Cause

The Man Who Never Was

Blood Alley

Between Heaven and Hell

Bigger Than Life

Lust For Life

Enemy Down Below

Forty Guns

Bonjour Tristesse

The 400 Blows

Shoot the Pianist

Wild River

The Innocents

Ride the High Country

Advise & Consent

Contempt

In Harm's Way

Bunny Lake Is Missing

Mademoiselle

Point Blank

Hell in the Pacific

In Cold Blood

The Wild Bunch

I Walk The Line (Lots of split-diopter shots to generate faux-deep focus)

M.A.S.H.

Junior Bonner

The Long Goodbye

Deliverance

Electra Glide in Blue

Parallax View

The Drowning Pool

Obsession

Black Sunday

The Deer Hunter

Comes A Horseman

Manhattan

Heaven's Gate

Dressed to Kill

Blow Out

Scarface

The Emerald Forrest

The Untouchables

Hunt for the Red October

Cape Fear

Carlito's Way

Heat

The Thin Red Line

Snake Eyes

Rushmore

Bringing Out The Dead

The Girl on the Bridge

Million Dollar Baby

The New World

i have seen "Blade Runner" recently and its just amazing, not only in its anamorphic glory, but also for the brilliant use of smoke and lighting.

that film is, for me, a school of lighting

Yep. Blade Runner is really great. It's a good example of how the concept that anamorphic is right only for epic, big day scenes and landscape stuff is just bogus.

• Premium Member
Yeah, I have the Eastwood/Leone films. Truely great compositions.

To get that deep focus he must have stopped the lens down quite a bit. I wonder how good sharpness looked on the big screen.

You can still catch restored prints of these movies on the cinematheque circuit. The sharpness of these films can stand against anything being produced today.

What are everybody?s favourite anamorphic films? Not talking about 2.35:1/2.40:1 films, only films actually shot using any kind of anamorphic process.

So that would include Technirama and Ultra Panavision?

The Vikings

Spartacus

Il Gattopardo

Zulu

The Fall of the Roman Empire

Seppuku AKA Harakiri

Kwaidan

The Mysterians

Atragon

Sword of doom

Andrei Rublev

Gamlet

Potop (The Deluge)

20,000 leagues under the Sea

Helen of Troy

Forbidden Planet

China Gate

The King and I

The Guns of Navaronne

Sink The Bismark!

The Devils

The Life Aquatic...

Sons and Lovers

Tried not to include anything already mentioned.

To get that deep focus he must have stopped the lens down quite a bit. .

No problem under the mediterranian desert sun.

PS

Polanski's The Tragedy of MacBeth

The Fearless Vampire Killers

the Blue Max wwI aerials and skies

• Premium Member

Someone should probably emphasize The Graduate if for no other reason than their intentional use of the widescreen real estate. The DVD has commentary where they talk about placing Benjamin Braddock at the edge of the frame in the early parts of the movie, then framing him in the middle after he does Mrs. Robinson. Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson.

• 7 years later...

DOMESTIC:

Enter The Dragon

HEAT - 1995

Killing Them Softly

John Carpenter:

Escape From New York

The Thing - 1982

Big Trouble In Little China

They Live - 1988

Tony Scott :

The Hunger

True Romance

Enemy Of The State

Spy Game

JJ Abrams :

Mission Impossible 3

Star Trek

Christopher Nolan:

Batman Begins

Inception

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

FOREIGN:

Ninja Bugeicho Momochi Sandayu -1980

Iga Ninpocho - 1982

Graveyard Of Honor - 1975

Brotherhood of the Wolf -2001

Same here. I initially thought that the anamorphic lens flares, distortion, fringing, bokeh, depth of field etc. to be very interesting, but the more anamorphic films I watch the more I get irritated with all these artefacts. I too prefer the look of spherical.