What's a Lock-Off Head?

Adam Paul

• Premium Member

I have no idea what you're talking about either, Adam. Heads are usually either friction heads, fluid heads, or geared heads. You'll need to show us a picture of what you saw.

"Lock-off" just means to lock-off the tilt and pan fuction of the head for a static frame.

Ok. I found this picture and the description said just ?lock off head?.

http://www.3dg.de/7M9Kg

It doesn't look to be a fluid head. Looks more like a geared head, but it has no gears :lol:

I couldn't manage to post a picture so I hope the link works.

It looks more like a tilt-plate with a panhandle.

Looking at the picture it's what you'd use when you just want to "lock off" the camera on say a car mount. It's not intended that you'd pan or tilt with the camera on the head. It's got a low profile, so it would be ideal for use on cars etc, when you want to keep the camera as close as possible to the actor's eye line.

People commonly just lock off their normal heads for these types of shots, but with bowls etc., these can be quite high, so compromising your shot on some camera rig set ups.

This head would be a lot cheaper than a normal head. However, I wouldn't consider modifying it to a gear head, although in the past you could get your Arri friction head modified to a fluid head

Edited by Brian Drysdale

This is what some manufacturers call a rockerplate (e.g. MovieTech.de) It is commonly used for lowangle shots without the need for a Ronfordf7 or other type of underslung-head. You could use it on car-rigs as well as in underwater circumstances. You can pan and tilt with this heads but they are defenitly not fluids! Rebuilding it to a geared head could be not this cost effective...

Good Luck,

Onno Perdijk

Solid Grip Systems

Amsterdam

Netherlands

It seems to me a rocker plate would be slightly different. More like a tilt plate, like this:

rocker1.jpg

But the other head seems to tilt and pan. I was thinking if you could put some gear drives underneath to drive the pan and tilt and connect them to driver wheels on the sides, it could work as a geared head. Most likely only one speed and for sure not as good as a real geared had but I think this could be done for much cheaper than the price of an used geared head which is in the 3-4k range.

This head seems to have the right shape and the right space for the conversion.

Edited by Adam Paul

The lock off head looks a lot smaller than a gear head and the arc on a gear head the tilt section is shallower than the head you've illustrated.

Not having costed it, but from past experience from getting off one components manufactured in a machine shop I suspect it would cost you a lot more than buying a used gear head to modify this.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

Yeah, you may be right. It may be actually cheaper to just make the whole thing from scratch. A simple geared head shouldn't be that hard to machine. Specially that you can find the gears ready to purchase.

By the way, is the arc of the tilt gear that important? If instead of the shallow type of geared heads there was a more steep one like a half circle, how would it impact usability?

Edited by Adam Paul

Unless you're an engineering student looking for a project I wouldn't bother. There's quite a lot of precision machining and given how much fussing there is over the flaws of the manufactured gear heads, you'll be into quite a lot of trial and error with prototypes before you'd be happy.

Off the top of my head, I think the deeper arc would the same as pushing a car up a steeper hill. You could also find the tilt could override the gears, so you couldn't leave the tilt wheel unlocked.