My new toy

Stuart Brereton

• Premium Member
Sachtler makes a really cool "step down" kit. They make a sub plate that fits within the Sacthler full size plate. So the good news is you can easily put your camera on a professional head, the bad news is good sachtler tripods can set you back anywhere from $2,500 to $5,000 dollars without even blinking.

All the major tripod manufacturers do make lower cost heads for smaller camera. You can do a google, just google Sachtler DV.

Those are all fluid heads. Unless you know of a head I don't? He was asking about a geared head.

I did a very quick search for a used Arrihead 2 and the cheapest one I found was about $35,000. So $2000 for a head isn't bad. Sure it's a lot heavier, but I don't think the basic technology has changed that much over the years.

• Premium Member
There is a magic and a big studio feel to scenes shot on a gear head. A fluid head always feels sort of like a tennis racket and it creates a style where you sort of whack away at shots. The gear head, once mastered, feels like you just will the composition and it happens. It is smoother and more ethereal. Enjoy!

I was able to try a gear head once. That's a great description. I kind of recall sort of getting the hang of it and seeing that it had a surreal perfection to it. Yet I'm a fluid head guy and sometimes when the camera is balanced it really feels like perfection, yet there probably still is a difference between a gear head and a fluid head.

Those are all fluid heads. Unless you know of a head I don't? He was asking about a geared head.

I did a very quick search for a used Arrihead 2 and the cheapest one I found was about $35,000. So $2000 for a head isn't bad. Sure it's a lot heavier, but I don't think the basic technology has changed that much over the years.

When I clicked on this topic it took me to page three, and I thought Matthew's question was the topic question and the follow up response was talking about adapters. File it in the useful but wrong topic department. Matthew, fluidheads are the industry work horse when it comes to many applications so you don't have to rule out just getting a good fluidhead.

• Premium Member
Yet I'm a fluid head guy and sometimes when the camera is balanced it really feels like perfection, yet there probably still is a difference between a gear head and a fluid head.

The difference really shows when you're doing dolly moves. Any rough starts and stops or bumps during a dolly move can be exagerrated with a fluid head, even when you crank the fluid and counter-balance. That's not an issue with a geared head.

I use and like both kinds of heads, although I've used a fluid head much more than I've used a geared head. There are times when I really wish I had a geared head, but there's rarely been a situation where the opposite was true.

• 1 month later...
Manfrotto make a couple of gear heads intended for still photography. Might work for a small camera. Never tried one.

400.gif

Sorry to ask this exact same question for the 467th time...but do you know the cost?

Stuart, I'll be glad to see some of your work involving that head, from what I can gather they're pretty good.

I also watched the Cradle of Filth music video you shot, and I must say I'm incredibly impressed.

9 / 10.

Edited by Matthew Buick

• Premium Member
The good thing about remote heads is that the gears have a dampening function, so they are easier to operate than a geared head.

I hate those damping options. The first thing I do is turm them to zero. A few Worrals had a 3 speed conversion, you should try to find one of those if you can, together with a quadra Wedge for the top.

Still the greatest feel from any head for me was the original Mitchell 21 inch (I think), the Worrall is about 16 inches. For me the biggest mistake Arri made with their otherwise very good Arri Head was the lack of weight. Thats what gave the old stuff a wonderful momentum. The only chance you get to show your skills these day is on a remote head which just isnt the same.