miniature shooting

Pepijn Robben

first of all sorry for my bad englisch

In a project i'am shooting next week we are using a miniature building with a scale 1 to 10

I have done a miniature shoot before but it was for a comedy so i didn't had to look real.

This time it must look real.I have heard that if you shoot on a higher camera speed you can make it look more realistic. I also heard there is a formula so you can calculate wich camera speed to use on wich scale of miniature. Does someone know this formula? it would help me allot

If someone got other tips on shooting with miniature i can use all the help i can get

thanx

Hi Matthew

Sorry but my first name is Pepijn and it will cost me allot of money to change that :)

So for now i have put my family name behind my first name. I hope that is enough if it's not enough let me know so i can change the things i need to change

• Premium Member

You only have to shoot a miniature at high speed if it moves and interacts with other objects (explosions are the most common example, another would be a miniature truck crashing through the woods, a miniature plane crashing into the ground, etc.)

Spaceships moving slowly through space, for example, are often shot at low frame rates instead so they can more easily stop down the lens for more depth of field, the other important aspect of shooting miniatures.

hello, if you want more information on shooting minitures, you can watch behind the scenes of Lord of the rings and King Kong. In the King Kong behind the scenes DVD there is a whole section where they explain about shooting minitures. For me it was very very interesting and eye opening.

Ken Minehan

Hi Pepijn,

I can't help you with your minatures, but you REALL MUST change your username to your proper name, otherwise this thread could be deleted.

If I've read the situation here correctly I think this is the second instance that I've come across of someone with a non-english name being advised to change their user name to their 'proper' (english???) name for fear of facing whatever consequences there are for not doing so.

Even if I've got it wrong (and its hard to tell with people editing posts and info in the meantime) I still feel its getting a bit out of control...