This years Oscar nominees for Directing...

Babel

Alejandro González Iñárritu

The Departed

Martin Scorsese

Letters From Iwo Jima

Clint Eastwood

The Queen

Stephen Frears

United 93

Paul Greengrass

Are you kidding me! Why don't they just give Scorsese the award right now! This is the worst group of Directing nominees in a while :blink:

I got money on Letters. I don't know if its truly the best, departed was pretty good, but if he didn't win an oscar for 'Goodfellas', well I don't see him getting one this time. I'm pullin for him. I think he deserves it, but the acadamey is fickel, and I don't get to vote yet.

Hey I think Babel is a great film, full of perspectives that they are not seen in Hollywierd

Everybody is rooting for Marty ( even me ) but I think that is more for pity than for anything else, even do I loved the Departed, I believe Marty is much better than that.... for Jesus sake he invented the style, but I believe that he can do better

Letters is a great and bold move from one of the best directors of cinema history.... and to me this could be the one....( I don't it would win but man this film was bold to make ...I think they should let everybody know about it )

The queen I didn't saw, I'm not really exited to honor a woman like the Queen.... so I really don't give a fcuk

And the Last one ... United 93 is an ok movie , I like it but with the heated times that we ive in today, I think the people of that flight and the other flights and the dead people of the warr ( from boths sides ) deserved much better.

For me I would love that Gustavo Santaolalla from Argentina will win his 2 Oscar, his a great musician, and I hope having him in one of my films in the future

Babel

Alejandro González Iñárritu

The Departed

Martin Scorsese

Letters From Iwo Jima

Clint Eastwood

The Queen

Stephen Frears

United 93

Paul Greengrass

Are you kidding me! Why don't they just give Scorsese the award right now! This is the worst group of Directing nominees in a while :blink:

• Premium Member

I think it's a pretty good group. Who do you think should have been nominated that wasn't?

• Premium Member

Definitely Paul Greengrass. I like his concept and the honesty he brought to 'United 93'. It could easily have become a very emotionally manipulating film, but he really made it feel very real. That to me is great directing (as opposed to taking a great script and great actors and letting everyone do their job). His unknown actors were phantastic all through out and the rough, documentary look worked (which can't be said for 'Babel' for instance).

Neither 'The Queen' not 'The Departed' struck me as brilliantly directed (although the acting and editing were good) and are certainly not in a class with 'United 93'. 'Babel' I also think is completely overrated, but I haven't seen 'Letters' yet.

I think it's a pretty good group. Who do you think should have been nominated that wasn't?

It's not a bad group, but they could have included Alfonso Cuaron, maybe instead of Frears. (No offense to him but Children of Men was far better than The Queen)

I know it's a long shot, but I would have loved to see Ryan Fleck Nominated for "Half Nelson" I think he did some brilliant work with that film.

Another long shot would have been Guillermo del Toro, but he deserved it as well.

I'd like to see Darren Aronofsky on this list. I think he did a great job in "The Fountain", in my opinion, one of the most amazing movies of the last couple of years. Didn't do very well at the box office (which doesn't mean much) but it's no doubt a very audacious and original film (at least in my opinion).

Edited by Rodrigo Otaviano

• 3 weeks later...

I can see The Departed winning Best Picture and Eastwood grabbing Best Director.

I agree that The Departed was great based on MANY factors, especially the screenwriting and acting. However, I have to applaud Eastwood for being able to tell the story of Iwo Jima from the Japanese POV AND have it amaze a worldwide audience.

• Premium Member

Paul Greengrass, for me though i have yet to see Eastwood's. i wasn't keen on babel at all, the queen was good without being special and departed was no where near Scorcese's best. to give Scorcese the oscar would be a shame as it would represent achievment over a career, rather than the film itself- which was really quite dull (and even occasionally stupid). Greengrass created an original and bold piece of cinema, to give it to someone else wouldn't suprise me, but would be akin to giving the best director oscar to costner in 1990.

• Premium Member

Yeah, but when is the Oscar ever about the 'best'? I absolutely see Scorcesse getting it, although he isn't the best director of the 5 nominees. But then again, winning an Oscar isn't on my wishlist anyway. I'd take Cannes and Venice any day.