Tripod

Raul C Palma

I'm looking into buying a good tripod for my 16mm camera. I have about $2500 to spend on the head and legs. Any sugestions on brands and models would be apreciated. Thanks in advance.

Are you thinking new or used and which model of 16mm camera do you have?

Edited by Brian Drysdale

I am open to both new or used. I have an Arri 16S and a Kinor 16.

Thanks

Given your budget, you're basically talking about a new hi end DV tripod or a used film or ENG tripod. However, I wouldn't buy a used fluid head without trying it out first.

New I suspect you're looking at ( in no particular order) the Cartoni Focus, Vinten Vision 3, Libec H38, Miller DS 20, Sachtler DV 6 (or DV 4) - these all are 75mm bowl. Remember to budget for the tripod legs (you may need tall and short legs) and spreader.

Used I'd tend to go a Sachtler Video head with 100m legs. You'll also find O'Connor, Miller, Cartoni and Vinten. Although Vintens tend to be a bit sticky in their fluid effect.

• Premium Member

... Why not try and find a second-hand Ronford Baker? - rock-steady and great workhorses that, if looked after, will go on and on and will take a whole variety of camera weights... Or a Sachtler 20 or 25... - they're lighter as they're carbon-fibre...

- you'll need a bit of luck to find the right one though...

... Why not try and find a second-hand Ronford Baker? - rock-steady and great workhorses that, if looked after, will go on and on and will take a whole variety of camera weights... Or a Sachtler 20 or 25... - they're lighter as they're carbon-fibre...

- you'll need a bit of luck to find the right one though...

Yes, a good Ronford F4 would be a good buy... I use my old one on my Sachtler carbon fibre legs for shooting HDV. It's brilliant.