Ikonoskop

Antonio Bunt

Hi, any thoughts or comments about the Ikonoskop Swedish Super 16 camera?

I think it's good for special applications where you need a small and lightweight camera, such as helmetmount, freehand style for skatebardmovies and other sportstuff, etc...

or simply a camera small enough to have allways with you for spontaneous filming...that's what I do with my bolex but it's not always confortable to have it your trouser pocket

If it's for more classic applications with dialog etc.., I'd get something like a secondhand ACL II, CP-GSMO, an old Aaton etc...

I never used a ikonoskop but I'd like to have one...(If I only were rich)

Super 8 is kind a cool, but I think you shouldn't blow the posssiblity of Super 16 just like that

There are a lot of cameras out there that are small enough that they will be ok

Kinor S-16

K-3 ( you may find one that is converted)

Eclair ACL 2 ( this cam is great for what you want and you can use both 200 and 400 feet)

Bolex H converted to S 16

you can find a lot of Super 16 cameras much eaiser today , because of the digital revolution.

Best

+1 on the modded ACL II.

If you are going to be in the jungle perhaps a spring wound Bolex would be good if you don't have to do sync sound or shots longer than approx. 20 secs long because batteries are not an issue.

I would suggest reg 16mm before turning to super8.

I think it's good for special applications where you need a small and lightweight camera, such as helmetmount,

I'd be afraid of mounting that thing on my head, It, just like the K-3 and Kinor 16 look like they can snap someone's neck off if things were to go wrong.

I'd go with a Scoopic for that kind of stuff.

Incidentally, why has no-one made a cheaper 50ft. Super 16 crash cam?

And though I would love to support independent camera makers (The non-oligopoly kind..) , I don't know where the 6k price tag for a non-reflex, 100 day load camera comes from either....

EDIT: I take that back, It looks to be about the same size as the Scoopic, yeah I guess it's useful for helmet mount.

Edited by Dennis Kisilyov

• Premium Member

....I was considering this for a project, but ended up using a Bell and Howell Filmo instead. I put an Angenieux 17-68 with a dogleg finder on it. (this lens covers S16). However I never film tested the system. As you can see in the photos below, it was sort of cobbled together. Notice the baby-bottle nipple eyepiece. I was going to black that out and put a chamois on it.... Eclair ACL with the 200ft mag sounds like a better option to me..

acam1.jpg

acam2.jpg

acam3.jpg

acam4.jpg

...if you are considering super 8 as an alternative, you might want to consider something like a regular 16mm B&H Filmo. They are really quite extraordinary and robust little clockwork cameras. And they are not delicate.

It is very liberating to not worry about batteries. ... a very good option for travelogue stuff..

Steve

filmo1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

...Baby bottle nipples can be found at any drug store ;) ... the dogleg Angenieux 17 -68 lenses are around. They tend to go for about $600.00. + or - (try ebay) If someone offered me 600. for mine, I'd consider selling it since I haven't used it since the project I bought it for 6 months ago and don't have plans for it at the moment.

They are pretty nice since they cover S16.

Steve

I think it would be more with-in reach if the Euro traded 1:1 with the USD. :-(.

Same for ARRI and others....

Ikonoscop shoot sync sound?

I think it shoots 24fps sync, but not crystal..

Steve

You can't sync the dialogue... you can shoot it and do a different effect.... but that's about it

save that money... buy an eclair ACL, cheaper more reliable and you can shoot all teh sync dialogue you want , also 200' to 400, plenty of people do conversions of that cam, to S16, Pl mount and so on...

Please do us all a favor and don't waste your money

Best