Need Camera Advice

Craig Tarry

Hello, I'm a photographer who's getting into DV with the intent of shooting a 15min. short. I'm considering buying the DVX100A - in fact I'm considering buying two - I'd like your opinions of this camera as opposed to other prosumer models, especially in regards to tranferring video to film of theatre viewing.

Thanks for any help. I know this is a new frontier and perhaps there are no easy answers - Craig

• Premium Member

Dear Craig,

I would think about following questions:

1. Do I really need 24fps?

2. Do I understand the costs,$ involved transferring from video to film?

3. Ask about manual focus with DX100,DX100A

I quote from Scott Billups, Digital Moviemaking:

"They saddled it with the horrendous focus ring from hell. It is impossible to get

professional results with a lens that has a focus ring that just keeps turning.

Since there is no quantifiable or repeatable point at which you can actually gen-

erate a true follow focus,any camera with a focus ring that does'nt stop turning

is not suitable for professional production. Period!!!"

I quote Scott Billups.

4. Now it may be that new DX100A has different focus range, I do not know.

I spent a full day with DX100 and I did not like it.

5. Its true that you can add on follow focus,mattebox/shade,filter holder but for

about another $3000.00 to $4000.00. You now have a $6500 to a $7500 cam-

era. Don't forget that films schools and hollywood can afford these changes!

If you can afford it thats fine and you'll have a hollywood lookin camera. You

now could have a Sony high end camera.

6. Check out audio quality(make sure you're happy with it).

• Premium Member

I've owned and operated the larger sony DSR-570 camcorder, worked with both the XL1 and the PD150/170 and I've recently down sized to the DVX100a.

REASON:

The panasonic blows everything above out of the water, regardless of the bigger chip set on the 570. Personally, I think the DVX100a is probably the best camcorder out at the moment for $ value, nothing and I mean nothing comes close to the results of a (and this is the key to all good cinematography) well lit and composed shot using the DVX100a.

As for focus problems, well there's some real clever work arounds from chroszeil and other manufacturers, do a search on google.

Why not shoot 25P? regardless of the end use/output. Better res. etc, etc, etc

I've had a huge mountain to climb convincing existing clients that I can get AS GOOD if not BETTER results using the smaller camera. Unfortunately first impressions last and YES the DVX100a doesn't look professional unless you add on Matte Boxes and the like but as the saying goes......It's not what you use, it's how you use it.

I believe the early models of the DVX100 had some sound issues and well touch wood the one I have seems to work perfectly well. In fact I've had several sound people one of which worked on "The Mission" remark on how fantastic this little camera is, he almost passed out when told the cost.

Finally, I'm waiting for the MOVIETUBE Guys in Germany to get their fingers out there asses and launch their new products. This then opens up even more artistic possibilities. Of course there's also the P&S DooDa that you can use too but the MOVIETUBE specification just looks so much better.

Finally, Finally, at the end of the day, I'd recommend trying out any and all camcorders that suit your budget before making any commitment.

Just my 2c's worth, for what its worth.

Almost forgot, remember, your not just buying a camcorder, you have to look at a half decent tripod, flightcasing, batteries, Matte Box, Follow focus, LWS Bars etc, etc, etc.