Building This Rig

It seems so often on set I find myself wanting a backlight directly behind a subject, but can seldom hide or frame out the stand and light efficiently. So I'm thinking about building something like the following diagram, (which is not to scale - i'm not a mechanical drafter) and hanging the lightest 1-2k I can find from it, so that I can keep the two c-stands as far apart as possible while staying safe. Any suggestions or ideas on this?

Does something like this already exist for location shoots? I'd imagine it does - if so, what is it called?

4h1y5xl.jpg

It seems so often on set I find myself wanting a backlight directly behind a subject, but can seldom hide or frame out the stand and light efficiently. So I'm thinking about building something like the following diagram, (which is not to scale - i'm not a mechanical drafter) and hanging the lightest 1-2k I can find from it, so that I can keep the two c-stands as far apart as possible while staying safe. Any suggestions or ideas on this?

Does something like this already exist for location shoots? I'd imagine it does - if so, what is it called?

4h1y5xl.jpg

We call it a Goal Post. Others may have another name for it. You need a good sized piece of pipe and something a bit beefier than C-stands. you can get ears that will fit 2" pipe, normally for large 12X or 20X frames, then something like a hi-roller or hi-hi to hold the weight once it's in the air. I like hi-rollers cause the legs have a lower profile and you can move the entire rig somewhat easily.

cheers

chris

Hi David,

To me, it actually looks a lot like a background stand. Since they're meant to hold roll paper, I don't know if they'll support the weight of your light, but if you buy a fairly beefy one (and/or upgrade the horizontal pipe with a stronger one) you might be able to make it work. Roll paper can be pretty heavy, but since it's spread out on a long tube I don't think it would stress the crossbar as much as a light hanging from the center.

Best of luck!

• Premium Member

4h1y5xl.jpg

I'm sure there are grips here but you should post this over at the Grip Sub Forum anyway because that's where it belongs. In NYC it's called a goal post as well. The main variables with this rig are the length of pipe; the wieght of the unit(s) and the type of pipe (aluminum or steel). I find that these all change from location to location. But like I said you should talk to the grips.

I'm sure there are grips here but you should post this over at the Grip Sub Forum anyway because that's where it belongs. In NYC it's called a goal post as well. The main variables with this rig are the length of pipe; the wieght of the unit(s) and the type of pipe (aluminum or steel). I find that these all change from location to location. But like I said you should talk to the grips.

Why not take a polecat extend it and mount the ends in clamps on the c-stands? I've done this before also by using extra arms btw two stands in a pinch, but it made me really nervous!

• Premium Member

This is called a goal post, and there are a few ways to dit.

You can take a 12' piece of speed rail with ears on each side. You then use two high-rollers or combo stands with lollipops in them to support it.

Kevin Zanit

Why not use a boom?

with a 2K?

that is more of a menace arm... and that is a grip thing.

you need a counter weight and cantilever. A goal post is

a better idea.

a menace arm works for kino or lighter lights.

Edited by chris kempinski

• Premium Member

Do you really need a 2K for a backlight? Usually you can get away with something much smaller and lighter in practical locations, like a 650W Omni. A menace arm or even a double-armed C-stand can hold small lights like that.

I've used a goal post for lighting a green screen as well. Had a couple 1k floods hanging from the crossbar and a pair of nooks on the floor.

It came in handy because I was working in a very cramped classroom/studio environment, and needed to utilize the height of the room to keep the lighting pretty even across the greenscreen.

I also wanted to put a 650 up there for a backlight, but the gaffer who brought the equipment wasn't very secure about the rigging, so I had to settle for a rear quasi-45 degree backlight.

Just be sure your stands have wider legs to support them and that the stands themselves are pretty sturdy. There were a couple scares where we thought the thing was gonna come toppling down as a result of careless PA's scampering around the set.

• 4 months later...

Sounds like you need a Condor to me. ha, jk.

There's a hundred ways to do everything, polecats, menace arms, goalposts, wall spreaders, babyplates, ballons, whatever.

Most importantly :

IS IT SAFE?

Ever consider hiring a Grip?

We smell funny, but LOVE to rig stuff like this.