stills pl mount camera

rob spence

thanks luke.

I just had a chat with Les Bosher about that camera and he feels that it would only be useful for lenses over about 100mm due to reflex mirror clearence. I'm surprised that no one has made a ground up designed pl mount camera.

Many thanks

rob spence

• Premium Member
thanks luke.

I just had a chat with Les Bosher about that camera and he feels that it would only be useful for lenses over about 100mm due to reflex mirror clearence. I'm surprised that no one has made a ground up designed pl mount camera.

Many thanks

rob spence

Hi,

Geoff Boyle has a PL mounted Olympus pen, I always thought it was a rangefinder camera. Contact the DOP shop, they will know about any issues.

Stephen

HI stephen,

I emailed the DOP shop and here's the reply.

Hi Rob,

It's a reflex camera, it fits all new lenses, won't fit wider older

lenses - ie. Cooke SP's wider than 40mm and some wider Zeiss lenses.

It's easy to check a lens, you just pull the mount, slip it over the

lens and check for protrusion. There is a way to modify by cutting

the mirror to allow all lenses to mount but I don't have that ability

yet (working on it). It's a nice bright/clear viewfinder in the

older Pen-F's and the camera is very small.

Thanks,

anders

I'ts an nteresting camera but not totally flexible...yet,

many thanks

rob spence

thanks luke.

Many thanks

rob spence

I had similar idea of use of 35 mm SLR photo camera for test of quality of lens by film.

But, this is not possible, because, the SLR photo camera have mirror inside.

I don't know limit of Arri PL lens, but, russian OST-19 lenses must have minimum distance between glass surface of last optical component from rear side of lens and film :

for Konvas-2M - 13.5 mm, for Kinor-35 H - 18.5 mm.

This is very short distance.

Thats' why, i think to use of rangefinder camera for this modification, but, we lost of all preference of SLR photo camera.

From other side, you can focusing lens by distance scale only and if the lens have not standard of flange focal distance, you can have problem with sharpness on film.

Other idea, use of digital photo camera. I create of special optical adapter for my Casio 4000, but, i don't can find of all quality of picture.

Other idea, use of digital photo camera. I created of special optical adapter for my Casio 4000, but, i don't can see of all quality of picture.

The next idea was a use of photo camera similar of medium format photo camera Kiev-60, without mirror, but, with special focusing screen and exchangeable film magazine.

Kiev-60 have version of film magazine for 35 mm film.

You can focusing of lens by ground glass, after, to close of shutter, replace of film back and shoot.

But, will need modify of medium format photo camera too much.

That's why, if i need test of lens, i set a lens on the cine camera, load photo film on magazine and shoot of test picture with photo flash and manual turn of axis of camera ( single frame shooting ).

You can see of all quality of lens very good.

There is also a Rare law enforcement version of the Praktica in a "Half-Frame" edition. Model is Praktica L2.

This one takes M42 lenses, so an adapter would be easy to get and Mirror Clearance should not be a problem due to increase in flange-focal.

The bonus of the Pen-F is that it has a weird non-pentaprism way of delivering the image to the VF, with minimal light loss. Just stay away from Pen-FT, viewfinder is 3 stops darker due to a mis-engineered light meter.

Yes the Pen-F has no light meter.

Pen-F however has some VERY VERY VERY nice lenses at very low F-Stops, competing the Leica M39 rangefinders this 1/2 frame put out exceptional optics from the Zuiko plant.

P.P.S. Digital SLR's 23mm x 16mm are pretty close to "half frame" in sensor size.

Edited by Dennis Kisilyov