Stuntman dvd

jason duncan

Hey all, I hope this is appropriate in this forum, if not please delete. I just want to give plug to Justin Lovell for his film Stuntman. I read about it in Kodak's success storys link so I bought it. I'm currently obsessed with Super 8 but I'm not a great script writer so it's films like this (and troymotion) that give me hope. I personaly do not know Justin so this is not a marketing scheme. I think it's fascinating to be able to modify the camera to shoot widescreen. I think the ratio ended up being 1.85:1 although a ratio of 2.35:1 like the Star Wars movies in my opinion would have been even better. If you have a passion for making short movies and it would make you sick to have to shoot it on mini-dv, then I highly recommend the works of Justin.

I think it's fascinating to be able to modify the camera to shoot widescreen. I think the ratio ended up being 1.85:1 although a ratio of 2.35:1 like the Star Wars movies in my opinion would have been even better.

We shot "super-duper 8" for our feature Sleep Always and the aspect ratio of this wide super 8 is actually about 1.55:1 (a normal super 8 frame is about 1.33). From there you can mask it down to any aspect ratio you like, but you are cropping image at the top and/or bottom. We masked Sleep Always to 1.85 becuase we like that shape. I am pretty sure Justin did the same thing.

Jason, if you like widescreen super 8 you should check Sleep Always (plug plug).

Rick

• Premium Member

...Justin's stuff is excellent.. So is Sleep Always. In addition, we just recently finished a DVD comprised of 10 super 8 short films from a variety of international filmmakers. "Super 8 Cities Global Collaborative Documentary". You may be interested in this DVD as well. (see the link in my signature to learn more about it) We are also looking for new filmmakers to contribute to the next project.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve. Yea, I'll buy that too. I also appreciate you answering my questions about negative film. And I was floored when I saw your short clips of the bird flying inside. You said you want people to possibly send in films to you. Does that mean there can't be any copywrited material such as songs or audio clips from movies/tv shows? I make short films but I use "found" audio for the soundtrack. I'm not going to make any money so I was wondedring if that is ok?

• Premium Member

Thanks.

Jason, on the "Citizen Super 8" project all material needs to be original, public domain, or rights secured. There is a lot of "found audio" that is available for use under "creative commons" arrangements. I am not a lawyer or intellectual property expert so I can't offer any deep explanations. Safest practice is certainly to create original material, but buying home movies from estate sales etc. is also a safe possibility.

To be clear, Nathan Coombs is the Executive Producer and Project Director so he is the person to contact regarding film submissions (not me) although I may be able to offer some insights into the process having participated in the Super 8 Cities global collaborative..

best,

Steve

Rick Palidwor.

Can I buy some of the original camera film, please. :)

-Matthew Buick.

Some of the original film that we shot for Sleep Always? You're joking, right? In case you are not joking, the answer is no. I don't have my sales list in front of me but I think I remember you bought the DVD. If not, hint hint...:)

If you want a couple of super-duper 8 frames, to study the dimensions, I could do that for postage, but they won't be from Sleep Always.

Rick

Some of the original film that we shot for Sleep Always? You're joking, right? In case you are not joking, the answer is no. I don't have my sales list in front of me but I think I remember you bought the DVD. If not, hint hint...:)

If you want a couple of super-duper 8 frames, to study the dimensions, I could do that for postage, but they won't be from Sleep Always.

Rick

Hey Jason,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm just starting out on my newest project which will be a mix of s8, 16 and 35 covering parkour/street running in a 'snowboard style' video approach. Still working out some of the major details with some sponsors and cinematographers who are getting involved in the project. Rock on.