Angenieux 12-240mm converted for 35mm use

Mike Medavoy

What exactly are the "rigours of 35mm shooting" compared to 16mm ?

I don't have any experience with the lens itself but would be concerned that if it was developed for 16mm why would the makers spend the extra dollars allowing it to have the coverage of a full 35mm frame (super or otherwise) - unless it was made a dual format lens and just the mounting is modified ???

Anyhoo's if a lens can look good on 16mm then its only going to have better definition in a larger neg provided the coverage is adequate (no vignetting or softening around the corners) ...

My 'Am I smoking crack?' sensor is on about %5 here - so I'm getting prepared to be told otherwise ;)

What exactly are the "rigours of 35mm shooting" compared to 16mm ?

I don't have any experience with the lens itself but would be concerned that if it was developed for 16mm why would the makers spend the extra dollars allowing it to have the coverage of a full 35mm frame (super or otherwise) - unless it was made a dual format lens and just the mounting is modified ???

Anyhoo's if a lens can look good on 16mm then its only going to have better definition in a larger neg provided the coverage is adequate (no vignetting or softening around the corners) ...

My 'Am I smoking crack?' sensor is on about %5 here - so I'm getting prepared to be told otherwise ;)

Kubrick had one modifed and used it on "Barry Lyndon". It had basically a x 2 range extender fitted on the rear of the zoom lens and so became a T9.

Oh so this was the 20x zoom on Barry Lyndon? Didn't know it was the Angenieux 12-240mm modified.

Anyone else beside Kubrick :-) used this lens? Impressions? Optical quality when used for 35mm?

How does it compare to the Angenieux 25-250mm genuine 35mm format lens? This one is pretty bad when is below T5.6 or so I would say. Sharpness etc.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like it to me Mike. Come on, they can't answer *everything* for you ;-) From what they're saying it sounds as if it'll be pretty sharp, but don't expect the same performance you'd get with a native 35mm zoom. It's probably comparable to a tube or a T-mount or C-mount adapter. There's measurable loss but probably it's only noticeable when you're wide open (so don't shoot it wide open, stop down two from the maximum aperture, and meter at two stops less than (18? I never work with Ts) Remember though, that any time you slap a fillter in front of the lens, shoot the T-stop at any position other than two stops less than wide-open, or use diffusion, you're compromising quality to achieve a certain look. Remember that it's not the lens that makes the mood, it's the lighting. Fire off 100 feet though and make sure that YOU think the results are acceptable, and remember to calculate the exposure drop when you're shooting. You'd be surprised how easy taht sort of thing can be to forget if you're not careful. Same thing with switching from one stock to another with the same basic lighing and camera setup. You can burn a lot of money in film and people's time before you realize "Hehe, we just underexposed all of that film three stops!"

Regards,

~Karl Borowski