Buying super 8 cameras

chris buddy

My question is... are there any other viable outlets other than ebay to acquire super 8 cameras?

I like fleemarkets and secondhand-shops, or other internet-auctions than ebay, good cameras often end overpriced on ebay...

Edited by Bernhard Zitz

good cameras often end overpriced on ebay...

I'll say, this seems to be more and more the case lately. I'm amazed at how high the prices go on "hot" cameras and other good camera sell for $200. I think super 8 camera market on ebay is a toatl mess these days. Also way too many people who think their cameras are worth $700 and up.

• Premium Member

Also, if the camera you buy has not been properly serviced in its recent past (very, very likely), then it's probably a good idea to tack on the cost of getting a good tune-up. At the very least probaly another $200-300 on top of the cost of buying it.

I'm sure my fellow Beaulieu owner Douglas can back me up on this. <_<

I'll say, this seems to be more and more the case lately. I'm amazed at how high the prices go on "hot" cameras and other good camera sell for $200. I think super 8 camera market on ebay is a toatl mess these days. Also way too many people who think their cameras are worth $700 and up.

I know. There was a guy on eBay a month or so ago, who was selling a Bauer C1 for $500.00!!!

Someone sent him a message telling him how much he had overpriced, he replied saying that it was " a priceless antique, and that it was worth much more than what he was asking for it".

I think that an eBay moderator may have pulled the auction.

If these salty sellers keep on overpricing on cameras so often those prices will end up becoming their recognised market value.

• Premium Member
I know. There was a guy on eBay a month or so ago, who was selling a Bauer C1 for $500.00!!!

Someone sent him a message telling him how much he had overpriced, he replied saying that it was " a priceless antique, and that it was worth much more than what he was asking for it".

I think that an eBay moderator may have pulled the auction.

When I posted about how a topic here about high a Canon 814XLS had gone for, the topic was pulled by adm after a moderator from a different forum "reported it", now we've got eBay moderators pulling super-8 auctions as well??? You'd think both parties could lend their hand to more useful things than stopping others.

If these salty sellers keep on overpricing on cameras so often those prices will end up becoming their recognized market value.

And this would be bad, why?

Thanks for the help.... This has taken an interesting turn. I was wondering if people would like to chime in

on what they have paid and/or what they feel the "RIGHT" price for a certain camera should be. Nikon/nizo/canon/Leicina etc etc.

I think I paid around 200-250 on ebay for my nizo s800 about 7 years ago. It just died - which is

why i asked the initial question.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the help.... This has taken an interesting turn. I was wondering if people would like to chime in

on what they have paid and/or what they feel the "RIGHT" price for a certain camera should be. Nikon/nizo/canon/Leicina etc etc.

I think I paid around 200-250 on ebay for my nizo s800 about 7 years ago. It just died - which is

why i asked the initial question.

If I knew for sure that a higher end camera had been actually checked out and serviced and was in good shape, I would have no problem paying $250-500 dollars.

If I knew for sure that a higher end camera had been actually checked out and serviced and was in good shape, I would have no problem paying $250-500 dollars.

That's the point, on ebay you never know what you get. Often the sellers don't know if the camera is in good shape, because they haven't used it for a long time, or don't know anything about cameras etc... If I'd pay more than 200$ it would a checked and serviced camera from a known cameraseller -shop, certainly not from a privat person somewhere on the other end of this planet. I already bought a lot of crap on ebay, if it's cheap and maybe one out of three items are ok, thats good for me, but when I pay a lot and I get crap it's dissapointing.

That's the point, on ebay you never know what you get. Often the sellers don't know if the camera is in good shape, because they haven't used it for a long time, or don't know anything about cameras etc...

Agreed, I have seen first hand on a number of ocassions that Ebay sellers, even people who have used the camera do not know how to test a camera, do not know if all the features are working etc.

And as Fran pointed out buying a camera on Ebay usually means the purchase price plus the price of service after the fact.

Also did anyone seen that a beaulieu 7008 sold yesterday for Just over $2,000?!?! out of hand.

As for prices of specific cameras, It seems that Canon 814s in good shape should cost about $280 - $340 and that Canon 1014 are going for between $$490-$600.

Personally I think certain cameras are over valued and others are under valued. A 5008 in what was reported to be good condition sold for under $300 this week, while there are bidding wars over Canon's and some Nizos.

They are good cameras but $600 for a 27 year old camera is too much period.

I think part of the blame lies with the super 8 camera shop and some of the shops here in town. The excahnge rate between the Euro and the US dollar makes the super 8 camera shop's prices higher over here, but I don't think there is any excuse for the asking prices from the shops here in town. They are just trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of the cameras they are(n't) selling.

• Premium Member
Well, I wouldn't want to end up paying £100.00 more for my camera thanks to so many conmen.

You obviously want to... <_<

Not to conmen, but if the camera has actually been serviced, then that is a good thing. As the prices of some Super-8 cameras rise, we might see a few additional repair people come out of the woodworks. My hope is that they do more good than harm.