O'CONNOR 50D

Jonathan Bryant

• Premium Member

I have one and it's by far the best I've owned. Ballpark for a good 50D should be about $250-500. For instance Alan Gordon has one on eBay with a "Buy-it-Now" price of $450.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OCONNOR-50D-FLUID-HEAD...1QQcmdZViewItem

There's another one on eBay now with four days to go that's a complete support kit. My guess is it will go for about $600-800 given its current price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/O-Connor-50D-Fluid-Hea...VQQcmdZViewItem

O'Connor makes great heads. Slightly pricey, but everyone I know that has used one has only said positive things about it. What's your price range? Because there's always the 1030HD one too...but I'm not sure if that's in your price range or not.

Apparently they can be good with RED?

Cheers!

Dan Goldberg..

I can't speak for the 50, but one of the first things I bought were 2 O'connor 100s one of which came from Panavision. This heads are simply the best. Make sure there are no leaks in the one you're looking at, if so the price drops dramatically because the O'connors are expensive to re-build. B)

• Site Sponsor
I can't speak for the 50, but one of the first things I bought were 2 O'connor 100s one of which came from Panavision. This heads are simply the best. Make sure there are no leaks in the one you're looking at, if so the price drops dramatically because the O'connors are expensive to re-build. B)

The 50 and 100 are good basic heads with the ability to smoothly carry a heavier camera and are pretty bullet proof. O'Connor does have replacement parts and they can be rebuilt. I have a 50D with Peter Lisand sticks I use with my Aaton when I do not have a rental. If you have not ever used a newer head like a 2575 etc then you don't know what you are missing, if you have the older heads are still ok too.

-rob-

• 5 months later...
The 50 and 100 are good basic heads with the ability to smoothly carry a heavier camera and are pretty bullet proof. O'Connor does have replacement parts and they can be rebuilt. I have a 50D with Peter Lisand sticks I use with my Aaton when I do not have a rental. If you have not ever used a newer head like a 2575 etc then you don't know what you are missing, if you have the older heads are still ok too.

-rob-

I Totally Agree. Having owned "other" heads almost as expensive and having been let down numerous times, especially in extremely conditions, O'Connor is by far the best. I have a collection now. A 50 that I have been using for at least 12 years... and still do. A 100 that I use with my old Arri III package. Now I have a 2575B and the 1030HD that are even more amazing. They never let me down! Pay the money. Start with the best and save yourself the headaches!

• 2 months later...
I Totally Agree. Having owned "other" heads almost as expensive and having been let down numerous times, especially in extremely conditions, O'Connor is by far the best. I have a collection now. A 50 that I have been using for at least 12 years... and still do. A 100 that I use with my old Arri III package. Now I have a 2575B and the 1030HD that are even more amazing. They never let me down! Pay the money. Start with the best and save yourself the headaches!

so you mention extreme conditions... i am trying to find a head to use with my aaton xtr in below zero cold, and have been looking at the sachtler video18, but i have heard very good things about the oconnor. which do you think would be a better choice for isolated, extreme weather shoots?

• 1 month later...