Questions about printable DVD's and DVD labelling in general

Dan Salzmann

Just wondering if anyone on the forum is using the DVD's that come with a white printable surface on them and which printers they are using.

I've heard nightmare stories about self-applied labels (using those "stomper things" or spindles or whatever they're called) gumming up slot loaded DVD players and if not super precisely positioned knock the mechanism out of balance or alignment resulting in skipping.

Also heard that these white printable surface DVD's smear easily.

I have a mid-range Epson photo printer that does not have the hardware to print on these and before investing in a new printer I would like to know about how these perform.

I have to make up some limited edition showreels (15 each of 3 different edits) for very specific clients and require a DIY, professional looking solution

Up to now I've been Sharpie marking normal DVD's and needless to say this is not the most professional look.

Any comments, suggestions?

• Premium Member
I second the epson r220, that's what I've been using for my reels, although it's probably been replaced by 15 new models.

Whatever you do, don't go near those horrible stick-on labels, they do fall off in the players!

What do you folks recommend for programs for doing the artwork for DVD cases?

Any recomendations for DVD burners, for say running 25-50 copies of 5 to 15 minute

programs over a day or weekend?

Do you like the white surface Verbatim DVD-R DVDs?

Thanks.

I just use the epson "print cd" that came with the printer. I think you might have to, because of their tray-feeder and all that. But you can craft the label in photoshop/freehand/whatever, and just bring it in as a jpg and position it as you like. very simple.

I've used Epson R300 and Epson Print CD (with inkjet printable DVDs), and Memorex exPressit for the DVD cases. Epson works very well. Memorex exPressit software works well,too. However, the exPressit package comes with matte style paper.

Edited by Gary Lemson