K-3 pressure plate gone???

Dory Breaux DP

After looking at Olexs very detailed loading diagram (thanks for that mate), I have just come to the sudden realization that there is no pressure plate on my K-3 :o :o !!! There us the thing that applys the pressure to the plate, but no plate. I have searched everywhere for it, and cant find it.

What do I do now? Try and get a replacement from NCS? Please help as I just got my first 100foot load and wanna shoot it!

Thanks,

Dory

You lost it?

Or let me guess: It never arrived via eBay ? if so have a good read of the auction details, hopefully you specifically asked "are the components included for a fully working camera" in the questions ...

Get in touch with the seller and kindly request that they sent it to you, and if they don't have one that they get one for you ASAP - crap like this shouldn't be put up with on eBay ...

Maybe they were ignorant in which you shouldn't get too rude with them about but the onus is still on them unless you put a 'everything you see here' line in the auction (and it wasn't in the pic)

Do not be afraid of giving bad feedback once you have given them every opportunity to make good on the terms of the auction.. Often a partial refund to account for the repair/replacment is the only option ... I've got one on about 5 occassions for bits like this in the past (oil on the lens elements, broken focus rings, delapidated flight cases, faulty power zooms, winder problems) on the occasions the sellers has decided to leave me be I've given 5 bad feedback's - still yet to receive a retaliatory one back - good luck !

Nah the great thing is that I bought it from a guy on here. I realised that I have never seen it, but being such an ignorant noob to 16mm or any film I didnt realise it. I'll see if the guy still has it and if not I guess I'll just buy one from NCS.

Thanks.

Well, you need to remove it to get access to the backside of the gate to clean it up of last nights pizza crusts - but do you mean instead should it be spring loaded ?

My experience so far with cameras has only shown me models where it is sprung loaded - to set the correct pressure as a hard stop would be tricky - and what if the something happened to the loop... it would have zero give and cause more scratchy problems ...

But then again - thats just my thinking about it from my experience and logic, maybe the problems aren't so bad and there are a few unsprung pressure plates out there though

Alright, here is my temporary solution. Since regular 8 and 16 use the same size film, i took the pressure plate from an old 8mm that my mom has (shes out of town, wich is the only reason such things can be done) and placed it where the normal plate would be. In order to keep it in place, i used tiney strands of duct-tape (will vigorsly clean what little residue it leaves) to keep tension and to keep it from falling. I am going to experement with it a little. so far I have rolled a total of 5 meeters just to play with it and am about to shoot some more serious stuff.

for the last few meters i'll take my plate out and run it without one.

Alright, here is my temporary solution. Since regular 8 and 16 use the same size film, i took the pressure plate from an old 8mm that my mom has (shes out of town, wich is the only reason such things can be done) and placed it where the normal plate would be. In order to keep it in place, i used tiney strands of duct-tape (will vigorsly clean what little residue it leaves) to keep tension and to keep it from falling. I am going to experement with it a little. so far I have rolled a total of 5 meeters just to play with it and am about to shoot some more serious stuff.

for the last few meters i'll take my plate out and run it without one.

Wait for Nate to send it - boring, but you'll save the film ... ;)

Those things seem easy to loose. They have what seems to be a weak magnet hold it onto the arm, and it takes very little effort to remove. at least duct tape was there to save the day. Olex could say for sure, but is there a different pressure plate for super-16mm K3s? if so you could upgrade just for the pressure plate.

Nick- Too late, ah! Oh well, I got this load pretty cheep so I'm not too bumd... I decided it would be a good idea to leave my lightmeeter battary on while my dad and i went to dinner and now there is no more battary. I am so smart :angry:

Ah the ol' battery huh

Yeh, I just got a Eumig Nautica super8 - I've been leaving that on for days! annoying...

My Bolex EL switches its light meter off auto though - nicer ^_^

Edited by Nick Mulder