DVCam capture/playback

Craig Knowles

I just had a telecine done and got the footage back in DVCam format (although I had asked for DV). I was planning to capture everything to my PC using my old XL-1 MiniDV camera, but the DVCam stuff won't play properly (again, which is why I had asked for DV).

I was wondering what is the easiest/least expensive way for me to get this footage into my PC?

Renting a deck? Renting a DVCam of some sort?

I was wondering what is the easiest/least expensive way for me to get this footage into my PC?

Renting a deck? Renting a DVCam of some sort?

Easiest? Yes, renting the proper equipment will make it easy.

Least expensive? I'd go back to the telecine house and demand that they re-transfer it to DV as you asked...or they should be able to at least transfer your DVCAM footage to a MiniDV tape. Make it a point that the DVCAM is worthless since you don't own a deck nor a cam.

Check the order/specs you filled out for the post house and talk to your sales rep. They should just dub the DVcam to Mini if they indeed made the mistake. If they won't, your best bet it taking your tape to a dubhouse and getting a MiniDv dub of it. Should cost no more than about $40.

• 3 weeks later...
Check the order/specs you filled out for the post house and talk to your sales rep. They should just dub the DVcam to Mini if they indeed made the mistake. If they won't, your best bet it taking your tape to a dubhouse and getting a MiniDv dub of it. Should cost no more than about $40.

Eric:

I just wanted to comment on how really slick and beautiful your website is!

P.S. Yes, the post house definitely f----d up. By the way, I own a Sony DSR450 DVCAM camcorder. I always shoot it in DVCAM mode. To my surprise, my stupid ole' VX2000 plays back DVCAM-recorded tape! Now I did have my VX2000's transport replaced by Sony a while back--maybe they put a DVCAM transport in instead? Or do all VX2000s play back DVCAM? Anyway, the VX2000 works just fine as a DVCAM ingest deck for my NLE!

Most sony consumer DV cameras do playback DVCAM. So it might be possible to borrow one and capture.

But if you'd requested DV then the telecine house should fix the problem and make DV dubs of your tapes. But if you knew someone with a sony DV camera it might be quicker and easier to borrow one.