The Deadly Diamond

Basically it's a short action film, The Deadly Diamond, about a burglar who steals some diamonds, he gets chased and... well watch it yourself to see what happens. I edited it using Avid Free DV, and used Audacity to add the sound effects. I got the sound effects from the freesound project.

Sorry there's only a Youtube version at the moment. Hopefully I'll get a bigger version up soon.

(Also please note that there is actually a gunshot sound effect at 1:32, but for some reason it didn't come out, I will upload a corrected version soon.)

Any critcisms (& compliments!) greatfully accepted... Fire away!

.Joel

Edited by Joel Davies

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hi Joel.

I enjoyed it! Nice editing and good music choice. Was it shot on super 8? I wont comment on the plot but i seem to remember that the clue

to a good short film lies in the detail, every shot must contribute to telling the story, a very concise structure. I mist some nice close shots of faces like when you fell, was a good opportunity to look up with the camera really low with your face right in the lens. Things like that add tension.

I got a bit bored with the chase i suppose is what I'm saying. You might also like to make yourself some reflection boards, you could have used

some fill in a few shots.

Anyway i thought it looked pretty good.

Well done.

Just one more thing, you really should have reservoir dog'd the last shot, camera looking straight up the barrel from a low angle - bang -

Blackout.

Kieran.

I think for me...for this short film, it was a bad cast selection. Choosing the right people for the right character carries with it a HUGE

weight in the believability and success in selling your film to the viewer. To me, that was my first initial thought, plus the sunglasses

was kindof juvenile/amature to me......but maybe you were going for that young kid aspiring to be the cool, bad*ss on the bike (harley)

idea!? Which is fine, but it seems like the idea wasn't harnessed with a lot of planning to bring the most out of the idea.

I wont comment on the directing.

Otherwise, some of the shot angles were fantastic; like the low-to-the-ground shot of when the boy is getting on the bike and taking off!

And, I agree with the previous posting that...the edits and choice of shots were good! :)

So, I believe my first comments pinpoint your weaknesses, and my latter pinpoints your strengths!

I believe the best criticism is negative criticism to see our weaknesses in order to learn and grow....so I mean everything in good intention

to help elevate quality in your next film! :)

I think this was a great film except for two things:

1) you could have really benefited from using some sort of steadycam (even a cheap $20 one would do just fine). Running with the actors and seeing the shaky shaky movements was killing me.

2) If the actors were grown men in sort great uniforms, it would have significantly added to the drama. watching a cop chasing a robber is WAY better than watching two kids pretending to be tough.

music was perfect.

good luck!

Sam

• Premium Member

Other than the lack of steadycam shots during the running scenes, it was Very well done. (Cinematography) the actors didnt fit too well, but you work with what you have.. As far as the actual composition, it's great!

• 5 months later...

Thanks so much for all your comments guys - they were really encouraging!!!! I haven't visited this forum again in ages, and when I check back there's all these awesome comments...

Just to say... there wasn't any planning... which is why the plot isn't amazing or anything. I also totally agree that obviously the actors didn't really fit in, but it was the best idea we could come up with on the spot - we came up with the idea and filmed it on one day :blink:!! I think I've learnt my lesson now to plan the film more beforehand.

Thanks again for all your comments, and watch this space for more films coming soon...