student discounts on Super 8mm

Galen Carter-Jeffrey

Yes, direct from Kodak is the cheapest I have found. There is a form on their website called the educational allowance form. You fax that along with your student ID and get a really nice discount. Call the number on the form or website to get specific prices. If I remember correctly, S8 carts of BW are like $7.50 and Color is around $11 or so. In 16mm, a 400' roll of bw is like $45, which is a great price.

Actually, to revise my earlier post (Since I just ordered a truck-load of film from Kodak):

With a student discount, the price for S8 film is:

7265 and 7266 BW Reversal - $7.40

7280 Ektachrome 64t - $9.40

Gerard, you have to call Kodak to get an answer. But here in the US the qualifications are:

- Make sure you are at an approved film school. Call Kodak to find out.

- Download the Educational allowance form from the site.

- Get a professor to sign the form along with your student id number, school name, course and other info

- Make a copy of your student ID card

- Fax both the form and the copy of your ID to the appropriate kodak fax number for your region

- Call them a few minutes later and verify the order

It's very easy to do and takes only a small amount of effort, and you save about half from most retail film stores. A cart of 64t is $21 here at our University CO-OP. So $9 is a great deal!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone know if there's a discount in the UK and if so what the prices/qualifications are?

Gerard, there is indeed a student discount, although it is only 10% in the u.k. I'm afraid.

I think you have to fax I.D. card to Kodak here in the U.K. too, although I've never managed to move the process on that far.

In the states it might be limited to certain schools, this might NOT be the case if you are in the u.k. and I wouldn't bring such a thing up with them unless they start complaining about the course you are on. It's only a 10% discount so hopefully they won't be that sniffy about the whole affair.

Also should add that if you buy film from Jessops at all that they also do a 10% discount on all film, tho I expect the E64 will be more expensive from there than Kodak.

Good Luck!

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

• Premium Member
Yes, direct from Kodak is the cheapest I have found. There is a form on their website called the educational allowance form. You fax that along with your student ID and get a really nice discount. Call the number on the form or website to get specific prices. If I remember correctly, S8 carts of BW are like $7.50 and Color is around $11 or so. In 16mm, a 400' roll of bw is like $45, which is a great price.

Is that really a 20% discount, or is that more than 20% and also includes a pre-pay cash discount of another certain percentage as well?