What's an orange wood stick?

A few cinematography books mention the use of an 'orange stick' in removing dust and emulsion deposits from camera gates. They also mention that such items are obtainable from make up stores. As I am a guy and as such, I don't spend any time inside makeup stores, I don't have a clue as to what an orange stick is. The other thing is that a lot of the literature than mentions an orange stick is American and so a different word may be used to describe the same thing here in Australia. I have never heard the word 'orange stick' used in conversations over here.

So what actually is an orange stick? And what is it originally intended for with regards to makeup? And is it better than a cotton swab for cleaning a camera or projector gate in that it won't leave behind lint? Any chance that it could leave an orange residue?

A few cinematography books mention the use of an 'orange stick' in removing dust and emulsion deposits from camera gates. They also mention that such items are obtainable from make up stores. As I am a guy and as such, I don't spend any time inside makeup stores, I don't have a clue as to what an orange stick is. The other thing is that a lot of the literature than mentions an orange stick is American and so a different word may be used to describe the same thing here in Australia. I have never heard the word 'orange stick' used in conversations over here.

So what actually is an orange stick? And what is it originally intended for with regards to makeup? And is it better than a cotton swab for cleaning a camera or projector gate in that it won't leave behind lint? Any chance that it could leave an orange residue?

Hollywood Props in Auckland have them. You could probably get them to send a package over to you, but surely there would be someone in Australia who have them also.

http://www.hollywoodprops.co.nz/index.php

Edited by Alexander Joyce

• Premium Member

Go into a store wiht a cosmetics section and look for cuticle sticks. I don't know they're intended use.

You use them because the wood is finely grained and sort of works like a bristle brush, but leaves nothing behind in the way of particles, fibers, et cetera.

What is it?? It is actually a small dowel, smaller in diameter than a pencil and about 5 inches long. It is made from the wood of a citrus tree, the orange. Very hard, pointed at one end, often use to clean electrical contacts, was a common tool in the Telco industry.