The Forgotten ARRI, the Arriflex 16M

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

There once was a little camera that was made from 1960 till 1969. It was called the Arriflex 16M, or Arri 16M, or Arri M. It looked like this:

16M.jpg

It's basically an Arriflex 16S without the 100 ft. internal load capacity, and with a gear driven mag, so it doesn't need the 16S's torque motor. It uses the same camera motors as the 16S, and has the capacity to use a humongous 1200 ft magazine. And they all came equipted with the pilotone generators and marking lights.

I'm adding it to the Arri16S.com web site and just put up a PDF of the Arriflex 16M Operating Manual on the page below:

Arriflex 16M Operating Manual

Through the generous support of Axel Broda, I've now been trained in servicing the 16M, and through the generous support of ARRI USA, I've been able to acquire the largest inventory of remaining spare parts.

So if you have one of these forgotten ARRI's, and you need service or have any questions about the camera, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

-Tim

• Premium Member
Would an ARRI 16M body cost more than an ARRI 16S body?

Matthew,

Kind of depends more on the individual camera. Being that many of them are over forty years old, much depends on what shape they are in. The 16M camera body is a bit more complex internally than the 16S, with the extra electronics and the mag drive mechanisms and mag lock mechanisms. Otherwise they are not substantially different.

Again, it would depend on the condition of the camera body more than whether it was an Arri M or Arri S.

-Tim

• Premium Member

Tim,

ARRI USA no longer services any of the Arriflex 16M or 16M/B cameras, and they no longer service any Arriflex 16S or 16S/B camera with a serial number lower than 15,000. That is one of the reasons they have been so supportive of Arri16S.com, because it is a resource for information on the older cameras and a place to send customers for service.

-Tim

Hey again Tim,

You wouldn't happen to know where I could get a filter frame for SR I's. I know they where problematic with light leaks and I don't use my SR without a bit of black paper tape over over the slot for extra security.

I tried to find one to experment with years ago but had no luck.

I like the idea of using filters at the gate instead of in front of the lens like on some 35mm cameras.

Best

Tim

• Premium Member

Tim,

That I don't know. Sorry. You might want to talk to Richard Himes at ARRI USA out in New York. He is pretty good at finding "hard to find" parts.

Best of luck,

-Tim

• Premium Member

These were (maybe are) NFL films camera of choice, right? I vaguely remember someone telling me that, because of their quick loading and 1200' mags.

• Premium Member
These were (maybe are) NFL films camera of choice, right? I vaguely remember someone telling me that, because of their quick loading and 1200' mags.

A few years ago I remember someone selling an Arriflex 16M on eBay and it had Denver Bronco logos painted all over it. I think they probably were used for NFL filming, before they got their bevy of Arriflex 16SR cameras.

-Tim

• 15 years later...

Hello Tim, It has been16 years since this post, but I may have found an Arri M, so I thought I would take a chance that you might still be around and ask - might you still have an inventory of Arri M parts?

Thank you sir!

Edited by Mike Owens

• 8 months later...

Hi Tim, I have a 16m and due to using the Tobin TCS TXM-17 Crystal Sync motor the receiving rubber inside the camera that hugs around the motor drive shaft has been stretched (and is SOO OLD). Do you have any replacement parts for that rubber cup that receives the motor drive shaft ball? - Peter@flickeringduck.com

• Premium Member

Hi Mike, I'm sorry but I don't have any Arriflex 16M parts inventory anymore.

Hi Peter, I must apologize, I don't know the TCS-TXM-17 motor. From the one pic I could find online, it looks like it might be similar to the TCS-TXM-22 motor. If memory serves, Clive Tobin put heat shrink wrap on the ball end shafts for his motors, because at the time he was selling them, most Arriflex 16S, 16S/B, 16M cameras had worn, dry rotted rubber couplings, and the extra width of the shrink wrap gave the motor a good enough contact with the rubber coupling. Unfortunately it also stretched the rubber coupling, causing the issue you have now.

I haven't had any of the rubber couplings in stock for over a decade. They were super expensive, even back in 2009 (like over $100). You might want to contact ARRI in New York or Los Angeles and see if they have any left. Also I'd try searching online, as I remember someone was making replacements out of rubber fuel hose or something like that. Been a while.

Best,

-Tim