Wide angle LEns for S16

Martin Yernazian

• Site Sponsor
that will one great effect S16 lens

will see?

meanwhile I will love more info on some cool wide angle lenses, plus some footage or frame grabs that will great

thanks guys

Best

I am prepping 2 of my cameras for 3 days of shooting and I just put my Peleng 8mm and Kinoptik 5.7mm on my Super16 LTR54, as a refresher, I usually use the Peleng 8mm on my eyemo. These lenses are fairly similar in FOV for S16 and I do not think you would be mad at the Nice Peleng 8mm. Ups is that it has better sharpness edge to edge than the kinoptik, is readily available, and you can use it on a 35mm camera as well (where it is a full 180 FOV) the downs are that it's slower at 3.5 vs 2 and it does have a bit less of that Warped Bendy look as I see the thread has gone to 3.5mm and 1.9mm lenses since I last looked, sign me up! I would like to see that 3.5mm on some S16.

-Rob-

Thanks Rob

that is great info, the peleng is still on my list for the reason that it comes with a PL mount,

also I don't think I will buy the 3.5 yet or the 1.9 I was indeed looking for the 9mm kinoptik c mount lens, since well my NPR has a turret with both of those mounts

I don't know

I 'll see if I can find a 9mm Kinoptik soon if not I will buy the peleng

Best

Heya,

quick question re. Bolex prism and wides not collimated for RX ...

Is it simply just a back focus adjustment to account for the prism or a more funky intrusion into the optics ?

I'm looking at wides also, but none are RX coliimated except the aspheron 5.5mm to go with my Switar 10mm ($$$) - both the 10mm and the combo vignette on super16 so I would like to try the 3.5 or 5.7mm Century (in understand the 3.5 will prob vignette too making the 5.7 a wider option in some respects)

anyone have the angle of view of both lenses in super 16 ?

Guest Ian Marks

I think that in the past a lot of Century's products were actually modifications of lenses made by other companies - I'm not sure if this still the case, now that Century has been purchased by Schneider.

I suspect that the Century 5.7 for 16mm is in fact based on the Schneider 10mm. Looking at one of the Century 5.7's on Ebay right now (presumably the older one), I see the words "Made in Germany" and a distinctive silver barrel that looks very much like my Schneider. Of course, these super-wide lenses were designed for regular 16mm and will vignette the corners of Super 16, even though the original Schneider covers Super 16 with no problems.

I've mentioned that I've fitted a very large (77mm thread) Schneider aspheron wide angle supplementary lens to the 58mm front of my Schneider 10mm (via 2 step up rings) to produce a super wide angle of about 5.5mm (my guestimate based on the view through the finder, although I bet I'm very close). This arrangement does not vignette the Super 16 frame, no doubt because the supplementary lens is so big. Like the 5.7 Kinoptik, this arrangement keeps straight lines perfectly straight (not so with the 8mm Peleng, which was never formulated to be rectilinear). Unlike the Kinoptik (a lens I also own and admire), the 10mm Schneider + Aspheron actually can be focused (although with all that depth of field, you almost needn't bother unless you're shooting something mere inches from the front element). The Aspheron is too bulbous to accept a filter, although a gel can be cut to fit between it and the Schneider - pretty neat.

I'm pretty sure the 3.5 Century is based on a lens produced for military or industrial use and rehoused by Century (or possibly it's Kinoptik glass). I doubt it comes anywhere near being able to cover Super 16, although I too would like to see just what kind of footage it produces.

Guest Ian Marks

Now that I think about it, I think the 3.5mm Century might be based on an Elgeet lens produced for the U.S. Military. Does anyone know?

Guest Ian Marks

The Schneider 10mm:

46259.jpg

The Century 5.7mm:

0b2b_1.JPG

Edited by Ian Marks

Hey Nick there is 2 5.7 century on ebay right now

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...earch&fgtp=

YEh - I've seen them ...

But I'm bolex - need to know about the collimation problem first as apparently the wider you go the worse it gets...

I too have hacked my own 'aspheron' of sorts - I use my Switar 10mm and wedge two elements from an old Sigma Zoom I pulled apart a few years back in front of it - has an angle of view of around 170deg but vignettes heaps - a lot like HAL cam if I were to put it on a 35mm camera ... It softens a lot around the edges, so I have to stop down fully to fix this and also unscrew the c-mount slightly from the mount to get the 10mm to focus on the new elements (I wedge tape in there to hold it in place) ... Really nice for free but I'd like a wide that covered fully like 5.7 nearly does....

Edited by Nick Mulder

• 2 weeks later...

I went through the decision you're making now.

I ended up with the 5.9mm Angenieux, and a CP Ultra Prime 9mm.

Drawbacks (in my opinion) of the Kinoptic and Peleng(I've owned the Peleng, and got rid of it):

Kinoptic is BIG. The 5.9mm Angenieux is way small.

The Peleng is SLOW, with mondo barrel distortion, unlike the 5.9mm Angenieux, which is very wide, but doesn't distort like the Peleng. I thought the Peleng was a bit soft too.

MP

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
The Schneider 10mm:

46259.jpg

The Century 5.7mm:

0b2b_1.JPG

Here's the scoop on the Century 5.7 you see there. That particular model was made by Century (yes, with a Schneider 10mm base) so they could use autoexposure "APEX" units on the lens. The Scheider 10mm has a nice linear fstop with no clicks. This was NOT their stock 5.7mm lens.

The Century 3.5mm lens is NOT really a 3.5mm lens. It is a 5.0 ish mm fisheye. The original denomination was estimated from a rectilinear table and does not follow fisheye focal length versus FOV equations.

If you want a SUPER 16mm lens (truly covers super 16mm) that is nice and sharp, and C-mount... see this:

www.brentfinley.com/images/cine/s16fish/ for pics and sample footage. The first CLIP is NOT the s16 fish... it's a century shot on double perf and cropped in. The 2nd and 3rd clip are with the s16 fish which is approximately 5.3mm fisheye.

This c-mount lens will not fit on many cameras because it has a protruding rear element. So you can use it on:

S16 Photo-sonics 1VN

S16 Ikonoskop A-Cam

S16 Milliken (with minor custom shutter machining to prevent crashing)

Email me with any questions.

Brent