arri D20

zrszach

• Premium Member

Hi,

> But since the D20 signal is most likely to be recorded to HD, which is 16x9, what

> happens to the 4x3 image?

Well, think of it not as 16:9, think of it as a matrix of pixels into which you stuff whatever you like. PAL is 720x576 but that's either 4:3 or 16:9. Of course recording a 4:3 frame in 1920x1080 pixels is going to result in tall thin pixels but there's nothing inherently invalid about that. Of course if it crops to a wider 1.85:1 or 16:9 frame that's easy; scope is another issue.

How they choose to map it, and whatever cropping the camera does, is another matter.

Data is a much more sensible solution for this stuff. All this resizing and cropping about is a quality killer.

Phil

• Premium Member

It seems to imply from the pdf that it can output in raw (to S2 or CineRam) and 1080p at the same time this raises the possibility of shooting with scope lenses and recording the monitored output to get a 2:35 image recorded at 16:9- this would be great. I'm hoping to get some information from IBC if I do I'll post it.

Keith

• Premium Member
But since the D20 signal is most likely to be recorded to HD, which is 16x9, what happens to the 4x3 image?

Apparently they crop the top and bottom off to get a flat 16:9, just as we do with 4 perf film. I don't know if they've implemented this in the electronics, but it should be fairly easy to do an anamorphic squeeze to simply map the full 4:3 image into the HD tape format. We did that in telecine when we were doing the common sides / tilt and scan process.

-- J.S.