k-3 lens question

adam schutzman

hello again...

i recently borrowed a pentax screw mount 50mm lens from someone to use on my krasnogorsk 3 camera to shoot some closer images than the zoom lens allowed...yet i found that the image from the pentax seemed to magnify what i was shooting quite a bit. why is this? and what would be a good, inexpensive screw mount lens to find that would be able to get a close up shot (within two feet or less) without it seeming magnified or distorted? anyways thanks again!

~adam

Edited by adam schutzman

I'm not quite clear about what you need exactly. You want a close up shot within a distance of two feet and it must not be magnified? Some magnification is necessary if you want a close up shot. Or is the magnification from the 50mm lens too much for the desired framing you want at 2 feet? Do you require less magnification? You could use that same 50mm lens and move back far enough to get just the right framing for your shot. There should be no distortion if you use a standard or telephoto lens from a 35mm still camera. And the standard Meteor zoom lens that comes with the K3 has a focal length of 69mm at the telephoto setting which would give more magnification than a 50mm lens.

If for some reason you must shoot within 2 feet (like in a confined space for example) and you want to use another lens, what you could do is mount your Meteor 17-69mm zoom lens on the K3, stand within 2 feet of your subject and vary the zoom setting until you get the framing that you desire. It doesnt matter that the lens will not focus this close. Just take note of the focal length setting that gives you the degree of magnification that you want and then search for a 35mm format still lens (Takumar etc) that is closest to that focal length. And check the minimum focusing distance of the lens too of course. Hopefully that should get you close to the sort of shot that you want. Good thing that Takumar lenses are dirt cheap.

Edited by Patrick Cooper

hello again...

i recently borrowed a pentax screw mount 50mm lens from someone to use on my krasnogorsk 3 camera to shoot some closer images than the zoom lens allowed...yet i found that the image from the pentax seemed to magnify what i was shooting quite a bit. why is this? and what would be a good, inexpensive screw mount lens to find that would be able to get a close up shot (within two feet or less) without it seeming magnified or distorted? anyways thanks again!

~adam

Try a Pentax Takumar 17mm. I bought one and am amazed at how close focus this lens is. About 6 inches or less. Keep in mind that while using 35mm lenses on the K-3, everything will be a bit more magnified. The widest lens that is out there is a Peleng 8mm.

chris

hello again...

~adam

I forgot to say to use the diopter that comes with most K-3s. The minimum focus on the lens is really too far away for most of my use, so I use the diopter regularly. Good luck

Chris

Keep in mind that while using 35mm lenses on the K-3, everything will be a bit more magnified.

Common misconception - the only difference between a '35mm' (format) lens and a 16mm lens is the coverage - a 17mm lens for a 35mm camera will give the same 'magnification' as a 17mm made for 16mm - its simply the difference in format that gives the magnification...

Sorry if you understand this already - but the way you have simplified the explanation may cause confusion with others not already in the know...

The widest lens that is out there is a Peleng 8mm.

I have a book here with a picture of a Kinoptic 1.7mm - it actually shoots behind the camera (ie. more than 180deg angle of view in 16mm) - I'll scan it one day ;)

In the meantime for example here is an example of a wider lens for 35mm cine coverage

The Peeling is made for stills 35mm btw - although it does vignette significantly in this format. No word on the vignetting of the 1.7mm Kinoptic though ...