16mm splicer and projector for home telecine

gavinfrankel

I'm new to moving pictures and am trying to put a basic budget 16mm kit together, just to discover the whole process: camera, editor, splicer, projector. I decided on a Ben and Howell filmo 70DR for the camera, and a Zeiss Movicop for the editor. But I'm still not sure what splicer and projector to get. Cement splices seem the way to go for splicing. Some recommend a Maier Hancock hot splicer, others the Bolex splicer, others the combination of Hammann bevel cutter and the Bolex splicer. As for the projector, I will just be projecting silent shorts on the wall for the moment, but if possible would like a unit that can do telecine. There seems to be two types recommended for telecine: old variable speed projectors, or finetuned five blade projectors factory adjusted to give perfect 24 fps image registration. Any advice on splicers/projectors would be much appreciated! Thanks. Gavin.

Edited by gavinfrankel

Remember, you can't remake a cement splice without losing two frames. They're also quite difficult to make, and they're really intended for A/B roll neg cutting. A tape splicer is much preferable. The CIR is the best- they appear on eBay from time to time from about GBP50. The tape costs next to nothing- under a penny a splice.

If you've already got your Moviskop, fine, otherwise you might want to try a pic-sync like this http://www.acmade.co.uk/Compeditor.html (No need to buy new; I paid GBP1 for mine). You'd need a table, spools and winders as well.

You might even find a Steenbeck if you have the space, but you can't really fine cut on one. They're great for viewing and sound though. Again, mine was GBP75. Projectors i can't help with, but you can get a lot of wear and tear on the film.

Good luck.